Sub wiring

Username: Medcinmn

Post Number: 1
Great forum first off! Anyhow, I bought a new receiver and sub last night and while hooking the sub up, I realized I was short a cable. So, I had an exra Monster Cable labeled video and used that. It seems to work fine, but I wonder if there is a difference between the ones labeled audio and video?

Thx!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 418
Not realy, a video cable is more robust than an audio cable. I've never tried it but I was told you could use a video cable as a digital coaxial cable.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 482
Aaron, get yourself a single RCA Subwoofer Audio cable.

Casey-You cannot use a straight Analogue Video cable as a Digital cable in any way. Different technology all together. The only thing that is the same, is the fact that they both have RCA ends. That is it though, inside, totally different ball game.Cheers.

Post Number: 2
Thanks again for all the help. While we're on the subject, I have 16Ga to my rear Klipsch RSX-4 (about 30'). Is 16Ga sufficient for this?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1828
­
Aaron's use of a good quality cable for the analogue LFE signal going to the sub will work just fine. That Monster cable labeled "video" is perfectly adequate for that purpose.

Higher end "video" cable (including component) is basically RG59 or RG6 coax with RCA connectors. These cables are capable of carrying analogue audio and video, as well as digital audio signals.
­

Bronze Member
Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 13
John is absolutely right on this issue. Nick is wrong.

Post Number: 3
Thank you again for all the replies. Just so I understand correctly, it doesn't matter what the cable is labeled, as long as it's a good quality cable, I can use the ones labeled video and audio interchangeably, as well as for the component video (provided I hook them up correctly as they will not be color coded).

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 205
its funny I never thaught about a differents, everytime I buy new equipment and upgrade on the cables I allways buy the best quility for good price, and buy the right cable for the job, I just checked all my cables and video is video and audio is audio. I want to know what is the difference?

Aaron I use 10Ga monster wire for my speakers for the fronts and center and 12Ga for the rears because it just gets to expensive on long runs, I dont like going under 12Ga but then my rears, each speaker has 2x5" drivers and 2x1" tweets, Klipsch are efficient speaker from what I hear, 30' is not abnormal for rears, the RSX-4 are cool looking little speakers that should handle it fine, how do they sound?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 487
Woooooooooooohhhh hold up, totally missed that he was using a Monster Video Cable, I was thinking a typical 2 dollar red/white/yellow audio video cable type crap. The Monster cable will work just fine for the sub, and will carry a digital signal. My bad. Johns right.

Bronze Member
Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 21
I respect that, Nick. Way to go.

Post Number: 4
It's actually not Monster brand I'm using, but another quality, large size cable. Regarding my rears with the 16 g wire, they sound fine to me. However, if I may be able to get better sound through 12, I have no problem pulling that. I just don't want to waste time or money on 12 if it won't make a difference over the 16.

Username: Jamaces

Post Number: 4
this can go into the similar post, as i just bought a velodyne ct-120, it was a used one from a buddy.

As regular people on this board will know i am using Totem Accoustic Speakers for surround and just upgraded from my crappy yamaha(use to use a shitty theater in a box) to this velodyne. I have noticed that my yamaha was just a single input looks like just a small double ended audio jack but the end is rounded like an rca cable. The sub has the input for left and right, but I just plugged it into the left figuring that i will be able to use it as a mono, it does work.

Long story short, am i loosing the quality in the bass by only running one cable, as my reciver(shitty yamaha) only has one sub output, or should i venture to the electronic store up the street from my work and get a two into one?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1831
­
I've asked this question here and elsewhere and nobody has been able to make me understand why most subs have stereo inputs even though modern digital AVRs have mono LFE outputs.

Anyway, Velodyne (and others) recommend the use of a "Y" adaptor for hookup.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/tech/faqanswer.aspx?ID=16&sid=187s264d
­

Post Number: 5
I spoke to a tech at Velodyne and he told me the same about a Y adapter. I understand that you can get a 6 dB increase by using a Y.

Bronze Member
Username: Fred333

Post Number: 14
So I am kinda new at this, but what exactly does a Y adapter do?

www.soundonusa.com

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 215
john, I read that velodyne thingy and I dont get it, are they talking about the auto, on/off switch working better at lower levels of volume with a Y ,
and then Aaron, said tech told him same about Y,
6 dB increase by using a Y,
so I gess theres two benifits?
I wonder if I could gain an edge with my old pf 15 using a Y?

Fred smith, your in a lot of thread in a short time, your ether advertising or trying to get your post numbers up quick or both

Username: Jamaces

Post Number: 5
I was questioning because I had purchased a Velodyne sub, and I was wondering what was best to be used, since my brain is a POS it only has a single sub output where the velodyne has a dual input.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1832
­
My old Infinity sub recommended the use of a "Y" adaptor, and I believe most sub mfrs do the same. No angelo, I don't think there's two benefits with the adaptor in place. I think what they're saying is that the sub is more responsive at all volume levels.

I have not tried testing a sub's output using mono hookup vs. "Y" adaptor hookup. A 6dB increase should be audible and certainly measurable.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us