Help with upconversion, jvc th-c50 no pillarboxing

Username: Palun

Post Number: 1
I have a HTIB JVC TH-C50, and a Syntax Olevia 337h 37" 16:9 widescreen tv
I cannot seem to get pillarboxing when I watch DVDs presented in 4:3 aspect ratio.
DVDs in 16:9 take up the whole screen automatically.
My TV has several diff screen settings, aspect (when i watch tv in this its pillarboxed), fullscreen, 2 different zooms, and 1:1
Watching 4:3 discs in aspect is the same as fullscreen for me, the dvd player seems to auto stretch.
The only way I've been able to get around this so far, is to hook up some component cables. Now this works for watching non 16:9 discs, but then I lose the near HD upconversion since I'm not going through the HDMI cable.
Anyone know if theres a way to get 4:3 pillarboxed using the HDMI output? Or am I just screwed when watching non 16:9 discs?

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1805
­
Try this.
Go into the JVC's "Picture Menu" and select 4:3 LB and select 1:1 aspect on the Olevia. I think this will show a 4:3 image on a non-widescreen DVD. You will have to go back and select 16:9 on the JVC's picture menu for viewing widescreen DVDs.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, i just tried that, but unfortunately didn't work for me. I swtiched to 4:3 LB on the jvc and 1:1 aspect on my tv, when I do that I get "no signal" on the tv for a few seconds, then the player automatically changes from 4:3 LB back to 16:9.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1806
­
"Or am I just screwed when watching non 16:9 discs?"

Sorry, that appears to be the case. A footnote on page 34 in the JVC manual says "When the scan mode is set to "1080i" or "720p", 16:9 is automatically selected." So your choice is upconverted and stretched, or no stretch and no upconversion.

I've always been a skeptic with regard to extracting more information from a 480 disc than is actually there. My question to you is can you see that much picture quality difference with the 'upconverted' signal from your average DVD?

(Also, have you gotten used to Olevia's goofy GUI yet?)
­

Post Number: 3
dang, kinda figured I was screwed.

Yes I def can tell a HUGE diff with the upconversion player, opposed to standard. It really is near hd quality. Harder to tell on some older movies, but newer DVDs, definately. When I first got the Olevia I had a sony player hooked up with component cables, and thought the picture was amazing compared to what I was used to. Not long after, I bought the JVC HTIB, and the diff was immediately noticeable. I don't ahve anything super fancy as you can see, but to me I can't tell the diff between my upconverted DVDs, and say the HBO HD channel, both with hdmi. Unfortunately I HATE stretched pictures, so I guess I'll have to watch 4:3 with my component.

Took some time but yeah, Im used to the olevia. Like most things seems ya just gotta get used to it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us