HK 146

Username: Jpoler1

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 1
I need some help setting up my Harmon Kardon AVR 146 receiver to work with all cable channels. The system works well, great sound, etc. However, the sound cuts out nearly everytime I change the channel and switches from stereo mode and great sound on the HDMI 1/COAX2 setting to a muffled sound with no stereo. I then need to manually push the stereo button on the remote everytime I lose my strong audio signal. It has become frustrating to say the least.

Any suggestions on what to do? I really don't want to have the Geek Squad from Best Buy come out here and pay them 100's of dollars to push one button. I appreciate any input on this problem. Thanks much.

-Jpoler1

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1803
­
That Geek Squad isn't geeky enough to fix your receiver, which I think is your problem.

In the past two years, the sound from my coax-fed cable box goes distorted--or maybe you could call it "muffled." This has happened 4 or 5 times in the last two years (HK AVR 7300). Even though it doesn't happen near as often to me as to you, I believe the problem is the same. The way I correct the situation is to switch to another input on the receiver, then back to the right input. In all cases the receiver seems to "re-lock" on to the digital audio signal correctly and then I'm OK. This is greatly troubling to me as I fear the problem could get worse.

How do I know it's not the cable box causing the problem? I don't really, and this is why I say your first step should be to make the cable co change out the cable box. This may well correct the problem. If it doesn't, then the blame goes straight to the receiver and HK should have a look at it soon.
­

Username: Jpoler1

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 2
Thanks so much for the input with my receiver. I will try what you recommended. It may very well be a weak signal through the cable box. I live about a block away from the El Train in Chicago, IL. Sometimes, not all the time, the video signal to my T.V. cuts out when a train goes by, especially in the winter and colder months. It might be a cable connection/cable signal problem like you said, who knows? I will try it out. Thanks again.

Jpoler1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us