I know this is backwards, but . .

BAP
Unregistered guest
I am setting up a surround system in a new bedroom. (It is a long story, and you probably don't want to know anyway, but . . .) It is a given that the system will have Boston Acoustics in ceiling speakers - VRI565's for the three front and DSI465's for the rear. I am considering a Yamaha RX-V2400 or the Dennon 3805 (or 3803) for the receiver. There is not any place nearby where I can hear either of these receivers combined with these speakers. I have been told that the speakers are fairly bright and that the Dennon might be a better match in this case, but have also been told some negative things about the Dennon. Since I know that many of you have vastly more knowledge in these areas than I do, can anyone give me any suggestions? Is there another receiver that you would suggest for this speaker setup (must have video upconvert)? The bedroom is a medium sized room.

Thanks for any help you could provide.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 23
what is your budget?

BAP
Unregistered guest
I am planning on somewhere between $700-$1,000 for the receiver. I already have the spekers.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
My guess is you heard negative things about Dennon from a salesperson who wasn't selling Dennon or one who was trying to get a spiff from another company. Buy what appeals to you with a seven day return policy. Keep ALL the packaging and literature and don't destroy the box. Not to sound snotty but it's a bedroom system. If nothing else buy the same brand you have in your main system so you'll have an extra remote.

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 24
hmmm, yes, to what she said. I personally would scratch the Yam but just from my experience. I am authorized Yamaha but I elect not to sell their products. The Denon would be a good match for your setup. You may also want to look at some Harman Kardon models. HK will give a bit of a warmer sound when compared to the Denon. If you do stick with the Denon I would use caution with the rear speaker capability compared to that receivers' output per channel.

BAP
Unregistered guest
FEOT,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't understand what you mean about the "rear speaker capability compared to that receivers' output per channel". Can you help me out with what the problem might be (sorry, I am kind a rookie at this stuff)?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Texas USA

Post Number: 25
The 3805 is rated at 125 watts per channel in 7.1 surround mode which means in 5.1 mode it is equal or possibly greater than 125 watts per channel. The DSI465's have a maximum power rating of 100 watts...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us