Onkyo TX-SR605 setup question

Username: Premb

Post Number: 3
I upgraded my TX-SR603X receiver to TX-SR605. I have a set up questions to get the best outputs. I am connecting the following

Samsung Up scaling DVD recorded DVD R-135 <------hdmi-------> to receiver
2. Dish network VIP622 <------hdmi-------> receiver
3. Sony SLV-N55 VCR <------composite-------> receiver (no component or S-video available)
4. Receiver HDMI out <------hdmi-------> Pioneer 6071HD (60" 768p plasma) In
Using BOSE 5.1 speaker system

The sound is good but I am not very happy with the video outputs (specially 1 and 2 )

A. For Connection 1 and 2 Audio, is currently via HDMI. I also 2 spare optical cables. which will give me a better audio - HDMI or optical?
B. For connection 1 and 2 Video , as my DVD player upscale to 1080i (can configure to 720p if required), receiver , by default, pass through 1080i, but then the TV downscales to 768p. - Any suggestions?
C. while using VIP622, the images are in "full mode" while watching HD content but when watching the standard channels, it has bars on the sides and top - anyway to configure it so it will automatically switch to "WIDE" mode for standard channels and "FULL" mode for HD content?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1786
­
"A. For Connection 1 and 2 Audio, is currently via HDMI. I also 2 spare optical cables. which will give me a better audio - HDMI or optical?"

Since the audio on all channels is no better than Dolby Digital 5.1, there should be no difference.

"B. For connection 1 and 2 Video , as my DVD player upscale to 1080i (can configure to 720p if required), receiver , by default, pass through 1080i, but then the TV downscales to 768p. - Any suggestions?"

Your display is simply scaling the incoming signal to its native resolution. Upscaling to 1080i is of no real benefit because your pixel count is limited to 1365 X 768. So you are upscaling a 480 DVD (via line doubling--no extra new video data can be extracted) to 1080 and the TV then downscales to 768. That's a lot of video processing for very limited benefit, in my opinion.

"C. while using VIP622, the images are in "full mode" while watching HD content but when watching the standard channels, it has bars on the sides and top - anyway to configure it so it will automatically switch to "WIDE" mode for standard channels and "FULL" mode for HD content?"

You'll have to experiment with this problem, but I would tend to let the TV handle this if possible. You should have a "wide" setting, or something to that effect on the TV so that it will automatically show HD properly (16:9) and stretch 4:3 images when it receives them.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us