Solve my Bose problem?

Username: Booray

Post Number: 1
Okay, first of all let me say that the speakers CAME WITH THE HOUSE.

I just bought a house pre-wired with Bose cubes in the family room and no sub or receiver. Before I trash the things and start over are there any ideas for ways to save them? Bose tech support says you need to know what system they go with to get the right sub, unfortunatly the serial number is only ON THE SUB (GENIUS!)

So, anyone ever use thes speakers with any other rig or maybe paired with a Bose sub that isn't the right one?

Any help appreciated..

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 837
it may be a BUILT-INvisible system, and if so you will have to start from scratch... the sub will be there, but built into the floor, and only be able to be powered from a Bose media system.

If it is just the cubes, you can buy the Acoustimass module on eBay, and a receiver, and it will work fine.

So, I need to know where the speakers are, how many there are, and if they are the regular Bose cubes, or if they look different.

Also, I need to know if the wire leads come out anywhere.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 838
I will hopefully be able to help you out.

Post Number: 2
The room was wired for music originally, with 5 cubes. There is a home theater upstairs and the original setup downstairs was just speakers and sub that ran off the upstairs components. However, the configuration is still good for surround as there is one speaker over the TV and 4 satellites. The bad news is, all the speaker wires come out of the wall on the other side of the room (That's where the sub was and also where the jack that leads upstairs is.)

So, I will have to wire the speakers across the room to use them for surround. At this point, I am thinking I would just like to get the right sub and hook it up to an IPOD dock right where it comes out of the wall.... just use those speakers for music and get a soundbar for the TV. Afetr all, there is a projector with JAMO speakers upstairs if I feel the need for surround.

To answer your questions: There are 5 pairs of cubes at interval all around the room. They look like regular Bose cubes (white) and they come out of the wall with 5 screw/plug speaker jacks. Attached to the jacks are 5 cables with plug in connectors on the end.

The Bose tech support line said that you can't just plug just any acoustimass sub in without damageing the system. He said you have to have the matching sub...

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 843
What do you classify as a plug-in connector?

like this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103479&cp=&sr=1&origkw=ba nana+plug&kw=banana+plug&parentPage=search

or like this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2421166&cp=&sr=1&origkw=RC A&kw=rca&parentPage=search

Or is it just twisted wire?

Look very carefully if it is one that may be in the links.

Thanks for cooperating. I know it may seem like a pain, but I will try to help you out here if I can help you to save your system.

Also, are the Bose logos in your speakers offset, or are they right in the center of the cubes?

Post Number: 3
The wall jacks are standard jacks that take twist on wires or plugs. The wires that are attached to the jacks have RCA ends

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 854
you need an "Acoustimass 10" woofer module to hook up to that speaker system. I have found one on eBay, but it is black in color. These come up frequently in both black and white.

This one looks to be a great unit. All the wires are provided, so you would have the wires to plug the system into your receiver, as the Acoustimass 10 module only accepts the RCA connections.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bose-Acoustimass-10-Subwoofer-BLACK-Series-II_W0QQitemZ16015 0685128QQihZ006QQcategoryZ32861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The newer Acoustimass 10 module (the one that has a huge slot in the front, as opposed to a round hole) should work as well, but be sure that the power cord and audio cables are provided, as they can be expensive.

Silver Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 855
Here is a white Acoustimass 10 for sale, much cheaper. Seeming that you already have the wires in place, it would likely be cheaper to order the module that matches the speakers in color, and order the cable from Bose to connect it to your receiver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-LIFESTYLE-10-SUBWOOFER-WHITE-ACOUSTIMASS-LOOK_W0QQitemZ 140149337340QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us