Help setting up HDMI and dvd recording - Please

Username: Dddon

Post Number: 1
Hi,

This is probably a really simple setup, but the problem is, I'm a even simpler guy. Can anyone help?

Here's the equipment:
Scientific Atlantic - Explorer 8300HD (cable box)
Sony KDL-46S2000 (tv)
Sony RDR-VX555 (vcr/dvd recorder)

I have Time Warner cable with the HD package. I can record on the cable box and would like to "copy" those recordings to the dvd recorder as well as get the best possible picture whether in HD or regular TV. All three components have HDMI and S-Video connections.

Can someone please suggest the best way to connect this? Thanks

Username: Bill_paul

La Mesa, CA

Post Number: 10
On the assumption that you are a thief with the intent of making hundreds of DVD copies, the video content industry is going to prevent you from doing this.

Any video content from your cable box going through the HDMI interface is encrypted, and furthermore there are no recorders with HDMI input, encrypted or not.

The S-video interface may work, depending if you cable box is outputting macrovision or not. I'm not sure, but I believe with premium channels (anything not broadcast TV), there will be a macrovision signal in the video that tells your DVD recorder not to record, and your DVD recorder will most likely obey that signal.

Try it first with S-video, and if that doesn't work, welcome to being controlled.

Post Number: 2
Really dumb assumption, Bill!

Actually, I'm a parent with 2 young kids, looking to put some episodes of Sesame Street and Mr Rodgers on dvd so my kids can watch them when we go on vacation. The reason I specified HDMI is that the dvd recorder I have says that recording can only be done through the HDMI interface.

Thanks, but no reply at all would have been better!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3511
Either you're reading wrong or the manual is wrong. You CANNOT record from HDMI on any recorder. His post was right on the money. Nice way to respond to someone trying to help. Good luck in the future.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1793
­
Byron, that HDMI port on the vcr/dvd recorder is an output....you know, where stuff goes out and nothing goes in---not even Mr. Rogers, rest his soul.

Post Number: 3
John S - Thanks for the reply. As I stated in my question, I don't know much about this.

David M - Won't be any future in this board for me. Bye and thanks to you also.

Bill P - Sorry I used the word dumb. THAT was dumb. Just bothered by waiting two weeks only to be assumed a thief. Again, sorry and thanks for the reply!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us