Not Getting DTS

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 70
I've got an H/K 635 and when playing DVD movies or TV etc I can't switcht to DTS. I have everything setup through optic cables is that it or is it a rare thing for movies to play through DTS?

Also, I have newer Samsung upconverting DVD player that shouldn't have any problems with DTS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
I think I answered my own question by figuring a lot of movies just don't do DTS.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 264
You got it. A receiver can only decode a DTS audio stream when it is given one. Meaning the movie has to have DTS audio, and in the movie Language setup you have to select DTS. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1760
­
"I think I answered my own question by figuring a lot of movies just don't do DTS."

Nor does TV. The digital standard for audio is Dolby Digital. When a channel is DD 2.0 or less the receiver defaults to DD Pro Logic II. When it sees DD 5.1 it will do that. The front panel display tells you which is which.

DTS's equivalent to DPL II is Neo:6. I find it doesn't work better than DPL II for most sources. For straight stereo material, I prefer HK's proprietary Logic 7 mode.
­

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 168
john I keep bouncing around the modes still, what do you like about the logic 7? and what material do you use it with?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1763
­
I use Logic 7 for the incoming analog stereo signal from my CD player. I like the seamless front soundstage, where there is no emphasis on the center channel. I will admit the rears sound a bit too high for me with Logic 7, but I turn 'em down about 3 notches on the fly when I listen to music.

I am referring to the Logic 7 Music mode. The L7 Cinema and Enhance modes just do not sound natural to me for music.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
I differ from you John in that I think my rear speakers are too low most of the time with Logic 7. I think the best surround I've heard with my rear speakers being loud enough was when Man of the Year came on HBO HD with Dolby Digital coming on other than that occurence I find myself turning my rear speakers up for surround. May just be my speaker setup and/or locations though I did the auto setup.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
stang, if your using the H/K`s EzSet/EQ I would turn it off, that was my hole problem for a long time, I didnt think it was over riding my manual setup, and I noticed that my left front driver was moving a lot more than the right exept in srround off, and it didnt sound right, and when I got GAUCHO 5.1 and was running it direct 6 channel from my new DVD player it sounded so horrable the sub was crazy, I had to adjust the setting in the DVD player way out of wack, I thaught the GAUCHO recording sucked, I turned off the EQ and now I feel stupid, all my settings are pritty much neutral now, and GAUCHO 5.1 wow just as much drive in my rear DFS speakers as the fronts now im lisening to the recording the way it should be, I had know idea in real surround the rear would get such a work out, I called H/K and talked to a tech the other day and at one piont he laughed and said the EQ is for Idiots that dont know what there doing, at least he said it sounds like I know what Im doing,

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1766
­
That's right Stangjason, rooms, equipment and especially people's ears differ greatly. The first 5.1 on HBO I remember was "Band of Brothers." Just excellent. They should repeat the series so I can see it in HD.

Angelo, it sounds like it was good that I couldn't figure out how to work the EzSet/EQ.
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
you have know idea, Im still wearing the dunts cap, what amazed me is how it over rides everthing, the tech said that I would have to default or reset the thing and try it again, but he said dont bother just leave it off

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
when I listen to analog stereo I use 5 channel stereo mode, pink floyd song, Alan`s Psychedelic Breakfast, in this mode almost sounds 5.1, what I dont like about the Logic 7 and the other modes is my rear channels seem to cut the sounds in and out unnaturally kind of wavy sounding especially with Steely Dan, my yamaha did the samething, I think its the processer trying to make sense of 2 channel stereo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us