Any guidance for apartments?

Username: Restless

Post Number: 1
I'm a landlord brave or stupid enough to be adding in wall speakers into my apartments. What I will be adding will most likely be considered garbage compared to what you get for yourself, but should be a very nice addition to a rental. These are very nice apartments that come with dish's 200 channel pkg for example.

First off, I am getting the speakers from thedeepdiscount on ebay the brand or knock-off brand is acoustic audio. If you know - how good or bad are they for in the wall speakers? In wall Subs are expensive in comparison, but I would like to add them. Would I be able to purchase non-in-wall subs on their own, then add them
by picking up grilles and enclosures - or is there some power requirement difference where this would be prohibitive?

Since I haven't started installing anything, but have purchased speakers, I'd love to any thoughts on placement/setup etc. The apts have gas fireplaces in one corner of the living rooms, so I am planning on the most popular seating to be the opposite wall, but would like the wiring/speakers to be usefull from either side. Since I don't even have anything comparable in my house and spend all my time on the computer I've only been reading up recently, but have no experience.

I am thinking that three speakers on each of the opposite walls would allow for reversing the seating. If this were done then I imagine a sub woofer on both walls would be needed and only one would be used. 4 apts have typical ceilings, while the other four have vaulted ceilings. Would you add speakers to the ceilings? There is only one side wall in the rooms with the other side being open, so I don't think the side walls would be used.

Long post already, lot of questions so an answer on any item is appreciated - I'll hold off on what I was thinking about wiring.

I uploaded on pic of an upstairs unit, which would be the more difficult for me. The other units have individual basements that should help with wiring and I would tackle first.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 201
Mike - the positioning of the speakers, seeing this picture, is a good choice. Three on each wall, front and back. Like a 6.1 setup with two fronts, a center, a back center and two rears. Or when reversed, it can stay the same.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 202
The Subs part is tough. Is getting just one sub and leaving it mobile for the user to move an option? Probably not eh. Thats a tough question.

Username: Restless

Post Number: 2
Across from the couch in this picture is a staircase to a loft from where I took the picture. This tenant does not have a cable jack on the wall with the couch, but would desire the TV on that end, which is one of the reason I started looking into this.

The ceiling in the apartment below in normal, this one would be slanted up to the second floor. I think I would be better off without ceiling speakers on the units below if they can cause disturbance above.

The three on each wall seems to make sense. I suppose the sub could be on each wall and one disabled depending upon access. I probably wouldn't want to supply a mobile sub, but since you mentioned it I could let them get one if they choose and not worry about it, although I bought 3 at this point.

When wiring would I more or less be running cable to both wallplates independantly or is there another method like normal setup than wallplate to wallplate?

Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 9
Mike,
nice set up.
I would not do any sub. Let the tennet take of that. Just provide the the wire. Subs for this are as little as 50$ I hope all of your tennets get along??? What is the rent? (ha)lol
Db
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us