Delay When Switching TV Channels

Username: Boofman1955

Redford, MI USA

Post Number: 1
I hope someone out there can help me with this issue. I experience about a 5 to 10 second delay (no audio or video signal, but the audio always comes on first) when I switch from a High Def TV channel to a non-High Def, but digital, TV channel. The same is true when I switch from non High Def to High Def. I currently receive my input from a Brighthouse Networks DVR cable box. The output from the cable box is an HDMI cable to a Denon AVR-2307CI receiver. The output of the receiver is an HDMI cable to a Sony KDL-40XBR2 LCD televison. As a side note, when I connect the televison directly to the cable box via an RF cable the delay almost completly disappears. Is this a general issue with HDMI, or do I need to change some settings?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1730
­
Actually, from what I read you're lucky the HDMI out on that cable box works at all. No this is not a general issue with HDMI and I willing to bet the fault lies with Brighthouse.

What happens when you wire the HDMI directly to the Sony?
­

Redford, MI USA

Post Number: 2
John,

Where did you read about the issues with Brighthouse Cable boxes? What are my options to correct the problem? Instead, should I use the component video and digital audio outputs from the box?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1734
­
I didn't mean to single out any particular cable company here. Proper implementation of HDMI is not simple or cheap, and cable boxes in general have a bad reputation in this regard.

I would definitely try component. I'll bet this will solve the problem. I'll also bet you will see no difference in picture quality either.
­

Redford, MI USA

Post Number: 3
When I hook the cable box directly using HDMI, the delay is still there.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1736
­
When Brighthouse installed that DVR did they supply the HDMI cable?

Redford, MI USA

Post Number: 4
No. I picked up the box myself and installed it using Monster HDMI cables.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1737
­
I know that people get attached to their HDMI cables because
they have been sold on the superiority of HDMI by the press and retailors.
More importantly, their considerable expense on the HDMI cable means their commitment to the wire will extend beyond reason.
As I said earlier, try component and the digital audio output and be happy.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us