Denon AVR-2307C1 receiver - please help...

Username: Jeff235

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I recently bought a denon AVR-2307CI. Currently I have a sony dvd player. The back of the dvd player has two sections for audio and video outputs. It has a full section labeled 5.1 surround, and it has another section called line out. The 5.1 channel surround section has a red and white for both front and back speakers, and it has a center channel output and a subwoofer output. I assumed that I would want to hook up my dvd player using this to achieve the 5.1 surround. I connected these outputs to their respective inputs in the back of my receiver under a section labeled ext in.

When I play a movie, and put the movie in DTS or 5.1 under the languages menu, I hear the 5.1 in the front two speakers and the center channel, but I never hear anything coming from the rear channels. I know that with 5.1, most of your sound should be coming out of your front three speakers, but I thought that something should come out of the back speakers at least some of the time.

Also, when I have this plug-in set up with this particular set up I have to keep the receiver in ext in mode and do not get any audio when switching to other modes such as DTS mode or 7.1 surround.

Any suggestions?

Here is a link to the receiver that I have
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3255.asp

Post Number: 2
Also,

I tried hooking up the dvd player using the red white and yellow jacks under line 1 to the dvd inputs (red white and yellow) in the back of the receiver. This obviously works, and the different settings work as well when changing to dts and what not, but it just seems like it wouldn't utilize the 5.1 channels as much as hooking it up like how I described above. The dvd player has seperate outputs for 5.1 and for a line out, I assumed that the line out would be for just hooking it up to a tv or an older receiver that didn't have 5.1...

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1721
­
Jeffrey, the Sony DVD player should also have at least one digital output, either coax, optical or both. You need to hook up one of these digital outputs to the Denon. The receiver will then decode the surround sound and send the signal to each of the speakers.

You should also use the receiver's speaker setup mode so that the trim or volume is set to standard. You can then adjust the volume levels to your taste if you want.
­

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 387
Jeff, John is 100% correct. The inputs you are using ( EXT. IN) are really for SACD disc that Sony supports only with an analogue connection. An Optical or Digital coaxial cable is the best way for your set up to us Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. I say your set up because your receiver is HDMI cable ready which means one cable that carries both digital sound and picture. One cable runs from a DVD player to receiver, one cable runs from the cable box to the receiver, and one cable runs from the receiver to the TV.

Post Number: 3
So I will not need the three wires (red white yellow) to hook up the surround sound, just the one wire either coaxial or optical, my dvd player has both, which one would you recommend? The coaxial and optical are grouped together on the back of the dvd player, I only need one or the other correct?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1727
­
"So I will not need the three wires (red white yellow) to hook up the surround sound"

That is correct.

"just the one wire either coaxial or optical, my dvd player has both, which one would you recommend?

Doesn't matter, your choice.

"The coaxial and optical are grouped together on the back of the dvd player, I only need one or the other correct?

As I painstakenly wrote earlier: "You need to hook up one of these digital outputs to the Denon. The receiver will then decode the surround sound and send the signal to each of the speakers."

­Upload

Post Number: 4
Ok thanks for all of the help. I will buy a digital optical cable this weekend and will try that.

:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us