Toslink extension problem on Hi Def DVD players

Username: Jaxter

North Hills, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I have a reference sound room where we are setting up a theater system. I have a situation where I am sending the audio signal from a Toshiba Hd-A20 HD-DVD player over a distance of about 70 feet. The output on the Toshiba is Toslink only. In order to get the signal to the surround processor must use an extender (in this case, a M audio Co3). This extender is converting the digital audio to an AES-EBU signal and sending it to a Lexicon MC 12 processor. Under these circumstances only the PCM signal will pass to the Lexicon processor. I have tried a Lexicon Rt 20 DVD player, a Pioneer DV 45 A DVD player and a Harman/Kardon DVD 25 and in all cases they passed both the PCM signal and the bitstream multi channel signals through the M-audio Co3 with no problem. I then borrowed a Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray player and tried again using the Toslink output as well as the Digital coax and again using the same DVD(Superbit Gatica), the PCM worked but no discrete multi channel output would pass through the M Audio Co3 conversion box. Now in this case I would normally suspect the M Audio box as the culprit, although due to the fact that the normal old format DVD players sent the multi channel bitstream and it passed through the M Audio box with no problem I would conclude that this is either a bandwidth problem or a DRM issue. If it is a bandwidth issue it must be because the Hi-Def players are upconverting the bitstream because I used a normal DVD in both cases. All menus and configurations were checked and rechecked during the setup.
Does anyone have any information regarding this problem or knows of some particular issue regarding the chips used for the output of the digital audio bitstream used in new Hi Def DVD players?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us