Hook Up Problem

Username: Robert6941

Post Number: 1
I have tried to hook up my surround sound receiver with no luck. Nothing seems to work right. Can someone give me step by step directions of which cable plugs into what. I have purchased every kind of cable. I'm okay with the speaker hook-ups.....its everything else. I have the below listed components.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 Cable Box
JVC Model RX-6008VBK Receiver
Pioneer Model DVR-RT500 - DVD Recorder/VCR
Mitsubishi TV

I will upload images of the back of the components if requested.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1712
­
Robert, there's not many around here who'll take the time to type out detailed hookup instructions for you. Especially when this stuff is covered in your owner's manuals.

Just what is your problem, specifically?
­

Post Number: 2
Sorry for asking for long instructions but I'm frustrated. I guess the two main questions I have is that I'm not clear how to connect the cable box to the JVC Receiver. The second question is, if you use an RF connection to a component, will the digital out audio of that component still be digital?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1716
­
The quickest way to hook up the box is to hookup the cable box's coax digital output to the JVC's coax digital input. You can assign that input to, say, "Video 1" input, so that when you select Video 1 you will hear the cable box's digital audio output.

"The second question is, if you use an RF connection to a component, will the digital out audio of that component still be digital?"

I can't really answer this rhetorical question very well, except to say it depends. Be specific. What are the components involved?
­

Post Number: 3
That would be the Pioneer Model DVR-RT500 - DVD Recorder/VCR

Thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1717
­
If your intention is to hookup the incoming cable in front of the cable box, then yes the cable signal will pass through the VCR unchanged, including any digital signals on the cable. So as long as the power is off on the Pioneer you should be able to see and hear anything your cable box will produce. You will also be able to record any non-encrypted channel without having to use the cable box.
­

Username: Howdy

Michigan USA

Post Number: 2
John S. -
Do receivers typically have a coax digital input? Or that more of a high end option? I'm obviously new at this. I purchased a Harman/Kardon AVR 247 which I assumed would have such an input but the only coax input available is for an FM antenna for radio reception. Snooping around Best Buy today I noticed that was typical for all the receivers I saw there. What an I missing?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 334
your H/K will have all the digital connections. Coax(Looks like a single RCA connection, not the COAX your thinking of that is used for FM radio and Antena) and Digital Optical.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 Cable Box
-Hook this up to your receiver using either Digital Coax or Digital Optical.

Pioneer Model DVR-RT500 - DVD Recorder/VCR
-Also hook this up with either a digital Coax or Digital Optical

Mitsubishi TV
-Hook both your cable box and your DVD/VCR unit to your tv using Component cables.}

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1788
­
Nick....Howard's a new guy on this thread....the equipment you cite above belongs to the OP, Robert S.

Howard, Nick is right about the coax hook-up for digital audio. The original name for it is S/PDIF, or Sony/Philips Interconnect Format. It requires a good quality 75 ohm cable, commonly known as "coax". What's different about it is that instead of the standard "F" connectors it uses the standard RCA connectors. You've probably already discovered this by now---the AVR 247's two coax audio inputs are near the component video monitor out jacks on the receiver's rear panel.
­

Username: Howdy

Michigan USA

Post Number: 3
OK - I'm starting to understand; but a few more questions:

1) The cable TV company provides me with a cable to my house with an "F" connector on the end of it. You are telling me I need to plug this into a coax input (single RCA connection) on the receiver. How do I go from a male "F" connector to a male RCA connector so that I can make that connection?

2) The cable TV signal I currently receive is both anolog and digital. I can receive (for more money, of course) a pure digital signal which would, as I understand it, require some sort of box that the "F" connector would plug into. Is it possible then that the output of that box would be the RCA connector, that you are referring to, that goes to my receiver?

3) On the back of the AVR 247 I can locate the 2 Coaxial Digital Audio inputs I believe you are referring to. If I understand correctly this is where my cable signal needs to eventually be plugged in. Since the TV cable signal is obviously an audio and video signal, why would I be plugging it into something identified as a "Audio" input?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 336
Howard

1) The coax(F) cable runs into your Cable receiver. Then from your cable receiver you run a component cable to your television for the video. And a digital coax or digital optical from the Cable receiver to the A/V receiver for sound.

2.)Yes. As stated in my first answer, you need to get a cable box.

3.)No, your cable signal does not plug into that Coaxial Digital connection. Your cable signal(F Connector) plugs into the a cable box or the back of your tv only. Get a cable box, plug the F connection into the cable in on that cable box. Then repeat question 1.

All in all, if you want surround sound through a A/V receiver like your H/K 247. You HAVE to get a digital cable box. It is well worth it. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us