Tough room in our new (to us) house

Username: Liamfm

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
I'm hoping you can help. We're moving into a new house and our living room is a bit like a bowling ally. It's probably 25'x11' wide. It has a gas fireplace in one corner, stairs leading down from the dining room (about 3 stairs), a sliding glass door, and windows on all exterior walls. Also, there is a door into a bedroom on the far wall.

My system can't really be changed at all (no $$), so I'm trying to make it work with what I have.

System:
42" plasma
HK 7300 reciever
DVD, DBS Satalite, etc.

JBL J900MV floor speakers
JBL center and surrounds (surrounds obviously can be wall mounted, no stands)
Polk Audio Sub 8" powered Sub.

Furniture:
good sized couch, chair and a half, coffee table, end tables.

We were thinking about putting the speakers on either side of the fireplace and the plasma above the FP. But I'd have to build a shelf for the stand so I could fit my center channel below the TV. That might put the plasma to high up.

I'll Probably build a rack for the components as I can't find anything deep enough to support the HK reciever at 27".

Where the heck should I put everything? We're probably going to keep the TV part of the living room to the right of the sliding glass door, and put a chair and ottoman to the left since there just isn't much room on that end of the living room. I've attached a picture of the room and would welcome opinions on best placement of TV, Speakers, ETC.

Thanks!

Liam :-)

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 382
A possible solution for such a room is to make a reading area near the fireplace. Then go to othe other end of the 25' wall and set up the plasma on the center of the wall. If you put it over the fire place your going to have a mess of wires running up there.

Username: Liamfm

Post Number: 2
Yeah, We were thinking that, but it's pretty tight with the stairs and sliding door. Perhaps a possibility still.

Thanks.

Any other ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us