Man am i green

Username: Gwareham

Post Number: 1
I thought this would be easy but i am obviously an under achiever. I have an Integra AVR and I am trying to get my components all working. Video seems to be fine over component except one of them is in Black and white. Any thoughts.

Second thing that is giving me trouble is audio. All is working fine from the AVR speakers using optical but I would also like to have my tv speakers working for just watching the news. Any thoughts.

Hopeful for some help.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 283
You will need to connect analog cables to your tv from the AV receiver, usually red and white for stereo.

As far as black and white, it sounds like you may have a bad connection, bad cable, or incorrect connection. All the component cables are the same, just make sure red is to red, green is to green, and blue is to blue, no matter what the cable color is.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1693
­
Hi, and welcome to the forum...

"Video seems to be fine over component except one of them is in Black and white. Any thoughts.

Yes, my thoughts are actually questions.

1) When you say 'component', are you talking about YPbPr, and if so what is the source?

2) When you say "I would also like to have my tv speakers working for just watching the news." What, then is the source of the news...cable, antenna or satellite, and how is that signal being fed into the TV?

3) Does your TV have any outputs for audio?
­

Post Number: 2
1. when I say componant I am referring to componant video cables. My AVR has 3 componant video inputs and 1 out. I have a satelite receiver in one and a DVD to the other. The out goes to my plasma tv.

I have changed the cable to see if the black and white was due to a bad cable but i got the same result. I now put the satelite through the dvd via a rca cable rwy and then to the avr via a componant wire and the color is back. i would prefer to go direct to the avr though.

2. the source of the news is an hd satelite pvr receiver. I have run my audio signals to the receiver via optical cables and have a rca red and whit cable in the wall to the tv and dont know where to plug it in to the avr.

3. tv has all the inputs and outputs i could ever need. there is a audio output.

Thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1695
­
Graham, it seems to me that the satellite's component output is defective. One way of checking that is to try hooking up the satbox's component output directly into the TV. If there's no color, then we can conclude there is a problem with the sat receiver. (The possibility of two defective component cable sets is extremely remote.) It sounds as if you have that plasma wall mounted, and if so this experiment may not be easy. You can also switch the component inputs on the AVR in order to eliminate a problem with the AVR's component input. However, this also seems like a very remote possibility given Integra's reputation for quality control.

Your audio problem is puzzling. If you have connected the satellite receiver's optical output into the AVR, you should hear the audio on all channels--including news broadcasts--on your external audio system.
­

Post Number: 3
Good idea on the component test thanks i will try to hook it directly to the tv. I did switch the AVR input and it was the same so you are right about the Integra.

I may have misled on the audio. I dont get any sound on any channel onto the tv. I made a mistake when installing the tv and did not put an optical cable in the wall. I have a audio red and white cable and was hoping to use that if possible. If there is no other way to get the sound to the tv I will open the wall and put an optical in but i was hoping to avoid that. Any thoughts.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1698
­
If you look at the back of the satellite receiver, there should be a standard set of red/white audio outputs. This is where you can hook in the stereo patchcord you already have in the wall. The other end of that cord should be connected into the red/white input set on the TV that accompanies the component input you are using for the satellite receiver (or in your case, from the AVR). You should hear sound from the TV's internal speakers. You can turn those speakers down when you want to hear the external audio system only.
­

Post Number: 4
I could do this but i have multiple sat receivers and only the one plugged into the tv would work in this manner. I was hoping to go through the AVR so that all recivers could go to the same tv input. Is this possible.I have used optical to get the avr and now want to use what i have red and white audio to the tv.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1699
­
Graham, there is one audio output that would give you audio from among your multiple sat receivers (talk about being in touch!). The R/L PRE-OUT jacks on this Integra would send R/L to the TV. But there's a problem. Since Integra intended these outputs to be used in case an external amplifier is desired, these outputs are volume affected. In other words, you have to turn up the volume to get a signal out from that output. This of course would mean that your external speakers would be heard.

The other option is to use the TAPE-OUT jacks, which are not volume dependant. I am not certain, however, that these outputs would send the audio signal out regardless of which optical input is selected. It's worth a try though.

But look, your desired plan would utilize an audio output from the Integra, and that would necessarily mean you'd have to turn on the AVR's power. That being the case, why not listen to the Integra and its speakers all the time, and not worry about using the TV's speakers??
­

Username: Me333

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. Im trying to figure out how to hook my xbox 360 up to my new Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP monitor. The xbox uses composite video (rca) and s-video. Just wondering what would produce the best image? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us