Not Happy with High End HT Help

Username: Bmw330

Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA

Post Number: 1
I have been collecting equipment for awhile and I 'm just not getting the WOW factor that I think I should be getting from this system. So far this is my set up. 7.1 system ( I also listen to 2 channel)
Front speakers Martin Logan Aeons
Center Martin Logan
Rear Surround B&W 604's
Surround Backs B&W Bipolar
Subwoofer Earthquake 12"
Sunfire 5 channel 300wpc
Sunfire 2 channel 600wpc
Outlaw 950 preamp
Sony DVD/CD
Samsung DVD/CD HD
The speakers sound fine but the sub just seems "boomy" when watching movies. I don't get that great slap in the face. I bought my inlaws a cheap LG HTIB and I thought the sub sounded far better than mine. The little LG system actually sounded pretty good. In fact, I thought it sounded better than my expensive system. Any suggestions to make my system sound the way it should. ( I also have 18ft vaulted celings)Help!!

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 187
First of all, I'm not familiar with the Earthquake subwoofer because a few brands use that name. Can you post a link for the sub?

Secondly......No sound room is complete without treatment of room acoustics. I'm guessing that you have done nothing fix your room?? IE...bass trapping, etc, etc, etc...

Post Number: 2
Since my HT is in my great room, I wouldn't place bass traps anywhere. Most of the nicer looking ones are expensive. I actually tried that before and it didn't make any difference. Along with the 19ft vaulted ceilings, the room is 20 x 25. Large and open. Even though there are draperies in the room (floor to ceiling) There may not be a way to help this situation.

Silver Member

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 188
If you're unwilling to fix the room, then I guess you're stuck with inaccurate filtered sound reproduction and no wow factor.

Dont kid yourself, because the sound room itself is as critical to quality sound reproduction as your hi-fi components.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 77
If you spent all that money on equipment, at least spend $1200 or so on a level 1 room consultation at www.rivesaudio.com they can suggest room treatments that work with your taste and budget. As well, they have the http://www.rivesaudio.com/PARC/PARCframe.html which can electronically help out the bass if the room is wrong.

40-50% of the sound you hear doesn't come from your speakers, it comes from sound bouncing around your room. Think about that.

Silver Member

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 189
Yep, it would be a shame to see all that good equipment wasted in an untreated room.

Another possible alternative is GIK Acoustics....
http://www.gikacoustics.com/index.html

A room upgrade will be the single most dramatic dollar per dollar upgrade you'll ever make.

Post Number: 3
I will post a picture of the room in a day or so. I moved sub last night and made some adjustments. It's not as boomy as before. I moved it away from the corner and placed between the two ML's. If I were to use some sort of treatment in my room, I don't want to use some hideous looking stuff either. I want my great room to look nice too. Thanks for the advice.

Silver Member

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 194
deleted duplicate

Silver Member

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 195
Acoustic treatments can also become an artistic & stylish decor focal point of any room if done correctly. I know of a few people who have treated their sound rooms in such a way that house guests marvel at the beauty of the decorations....much to their surprise when they learn the true purpose of the alleged decorations.

They can also be made inconspicuous depending on how you want to go about treating your room. By contrast, there will be no mistaking the remarkable improvement made to the sound integrity and wow factor due to the room upgrade.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us