Dvi to hmdi cable causing ground loop/ hum noise?

Username: Adkyeti

Post Number: 1
i have a computer hooked into my sony hdtv via a hdmi to dvi connector. the sound is hooked up with a monster cable to my bose receiver. when watching movies files on my computer i am picking up a noticable background hum and a crackling in all 5 speakers when background music kicks in, at times the voices get distorted. when i unplug the hmdi to dvi cable the noise disappears (but unfortunately so does the picture)but the audio sounds great. Would a ground suppressor plugged in between the computer and the bose receiver on the audio connection clear this up or is the problem somewhere else? all other modes on receiver (radio, cab/sat, vcr, dvd/cd) play crystal clear. Is the hdmi to dvi cable creating a ground loop?

Post Number: 2
just to answer my own question: the hdmi to dvi cord was causing a ground loop and that annoying background hum and crackle on the bassy low end sound out of the woofer on my audio. I went to radioshack and bought a ground loop isolator for 15 bucks and ABRACADABRA! problem solved. I post this just to help any amateur audiophiles like myself if they run into such a problem.

Username: Bpot555

Post Number: 2
Dude I got the same prob, Its annoying the crap out of me. I bought a new power supply, and even a new case! Still the problem continues, so I guess Im gonna buy the Ground loop isolator now.

Post Number: 3
i got rid of the ground loop isolator and just went with a digital optical audio (toslink) cord, also upgraded my soundcard on the computer and it sounds great
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us