New Receiver connection help/ideas

Username: Audiophobe

Post Number: 3
Can I get some ideas how to set up my Onkyo 605? My 8 (plus) year old Yamaha died and I replaced it with this receiver yesterday. I haven't bought/configured a receiver for that many years so I'm a little confused.
My previous setup was:
-Cable/DVR to TV (Samsung 6187) and Audio from TV to Reciever
-HD DVD to TV and Audio from DVD to Receiever

This setup was very comfortable for everyone in the family because if someone wanted the surround sound "experience" you could turn on the receiever, turn down the TV sound and listen while being able to adjust the volume either with the cable box or the receiever. If you were just casually watching there was no need for the receiver (to be powered on) and you could watch TV only and adjust volume with the TV or the cable box.

The recommended set up now is:
-Cable and DVD to receiver via HDMI in and HDMI out to TV so that the volume is controlled only by the receiever and no "casual" listening with TV only with independant volume control and the receiever must be on.

So my question is, can I have something similar to my old setup while taking advantage of the features of this reciever?
I'd REALLY prefer not to have the receiever on when used in "casual" mode because my kids will definitley forget to turn it off and this receiever gets HOT, and, its more complicated for them to use.

(For those of you who noticed, I posted this in the "Receivers" section also.)

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 126
I dont know, I dont think they went to high current, you dont have things stacked on top or have anything sucked up on the bottom or sides do you or have it in a none ventilated cabnet? and how hot do you mean, I have the H/K 645 if you want to talk about running hot

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1672
­
You could hook up the cable box's analog audio and video outputs into another input on the TV. Run component video and the normal RCA R/L red/white audio into one of the component inputs of the TV.

This means that the family could turn on the TV and the cable box (if it isn't already on), and with the TV on that component input watch TV normally without turning on the Onkyo. They would change cable channels and adjust volume on the TV's speakers as usual.

When you want to get serious you switch the TV to its HDMI input and jam either from the cable/DVR or the HD DVD through the Onkyo's HDMI inputs. When finished, it would be best to switch the TV back to the component in, so that the next day when little Jimmy wants to watch cartoons on cable he's good to go.
­

Post Number: 6
Would I be better off using optical connections instead of component?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1678
­
"Would I be better off using optical connections instead of component?"

The two are unrelated. Component carries analog video only and optical carries digital audio only.

Your questions on the other thread is:

HDMI from DVR to TV.
OPTICAL from TV to receiver.
HDMI from HD DVD to Receiver.

1) Does this look like it will work?
2) Is there an advantage to using optical, coax, or analog connections for the adio feed from the TV to the receiver?

HDMI from DVR to TV? Yes

Optical from TV to receiver? No. That optical output on the TV only works when its ATSC tuner is in use. In other words, if you had an antenna hooked up and were watching a digital over the air broadcast from a local TV station, you could feed the digital audio signal from that broadcast into your audio receiver. The TV will not feed audio on this optical output from signals received on any of its line inputs, be it HDMI, or any of its R/L red/white RCA analog audio inputs.

HDMI from HD DVD to receiver? Yes. You then feed either of the two HDMI signals to the TV with a third HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Your second question above is irrelevant since there's no need to feed audio from the TV to the receiver in your situation.
­

Post Number: 9
SO the setup would be:
DVR to TV via HDMI
HD DVD to Reciever Via HDMI.
TV to Reciever via RCA.

Do I have that right?
Thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1680
­
"TV to Reciever via RCA."

As I said before, there's no need to feed audio from the TV to the receiver in your situation.

When the family wants to watch regular TV without the Onkyo, the video and audio will be fed via the three component video cables and the two R/L RCA audio cables from the cable box into the TV. They will change channels on the cable box and adjust audio volume on the TV.

Meanwhile, when the Onkyo is in use, you will select one of the two HDMI inputs on it and the HDMI input on the TV. You should still have audio on the TV's speakers from both sources--the cable box and the DVD player. You can augment the surround audio from the Onkyo with the speakers on the TV, or you can turn the audio down on the TV altogether.

Note that when you want to use the DVD, you will have to turn on the Onkyo.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
OK.
I guess I was confused thinking that the video quality would be better using HDMI from DVR to TV then TV to reciever for just audio, rather than via the three component video cables and the two R/L RCA audio cables from the cable box into the TV.

I know I'm slow with catching on here but your suggestion is:

DVR to Reciever via HDMI
HD DVD to Receiver via HDMI
DVR to TV via component video cables and the two R/L RCA audio cables.
Correct?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1684
­
Video quality will not be compromised in the least by running HDMI into the Onkyo first and out to the TV. In fact, it is preferable since your Onk 605 can decode the new higher quality audio bitstreams available on HD DVDs, such as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. If you ran HDMI into the TV first, that possibility would be lost.

"DVR to Reciever via HDMI
HD DVD to Receiver via HDMI
DVR to TV via component video cables and the two R/L RCA audio cables.
Correct?"

COR-RECT-A-MUNDO! Upload

And while we're on the subject of cables, let me plug one of my favorite sites. Last week I ordered a combination component/RCA audio cable for a bedroom TV, and I couldn't be happier with their service, quality and prices.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&style=

And check out their prices on HDMI cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=2412&seq=1&format=2&style=
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us