Teac AG-V8520 Sub-Woofer/Center Speaker Setup

Username: Anlace

Post Number: 1
Greetings,

I was given a Teac AG-V8520 when my JVC receiver died. I know, I know, it's old stuff but still works (unlike the JVC which is newer stuff and doesn't). I am not terribly literate with audio equipment, so patience here please.

My question is simple - the Teac does not have an obvious hook-up for a sub-woofer and I want to use the 5.1 speakers from the dead JVC. So . . . . how would I set that up? Do I need to scrap the center speaker or the woofer or can I somehow use both?

I did a fair amount of online searching on this subject and saw most people get a reply of "go buy a new receiver." I don't have the cash to do that right now, just need to get something decent set up for a few months until I can. This system is for television and movie play primarily.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks for any and all help.

Peace,
Gail

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1667
­
Gail, are you saying that you have no subwoofer and center channel hookups on that Teac? This receiver could be from the old Dolby Surround (before Pro-Logic) days when subwoofers and center speakers were unheard of.

I still have a working Teac AG-V6200 Dolby Surround Pro-Logic receiver, which means there is a center channel speaker hookup. As with yours, this receiver has no sub hookup. Back in those days subs were not powered internally and had to be driven by the receiver. You'll have to describe all the hookup terminals on that subwoofer of yours in order to see if it can be used with the Teac.
­

Username: Anlace

Post Number: 2
Greetings John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The JVC DVD player/receiver combo that I had came with 5.1 speakers, so there are five speakers, which of course includes the center speaker, and one subwoofer. No special connections on the back of any of them, just + and - for wires.

The Teac has a center speaker hookup and another hookup that says "Pre" with a jack underneath for "subwoofer" and another I can't remember off the top of my head. When I saw that yesterday (after I posted my requested) I figured that it would connect a subwoofer through a preamp. Like you say, it doesn't power it on its own.

I ended up being happy enough with a simple 5 speaker setup for now, the sound is decent even without the whollop of a subwoofer. Gives me something to look forward to when I put together my own home theater setup.

I've bookmarked this forum because it's an excellent resource for help and I would like to be able to help others with whatever I end up with muddling my way through.

Thanks again!

Peace,
Gail

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1670
­
THUMP
THUMP
THUMP

Subs are over-rated.
Most people have them turned up too high.

THUMP
THUMP

Upload
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us