Which receiver is better buy ?? (first one)

Username: Babesia

Post Number: 1
im looking at buying a A/V receiver.(first one)
mainly for watching movies
These where my choices
Pioneer VSX-1016TXVK
Harman Kardon AVR-645
Onkyo TX-SR605
Denon avr-2307ci

What do people recommend any comments ?

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 111
I have the H/K 645 in my home theater, and I use it for music, I can say its a sweeeet sounding receiver, im very happy with it, and for movies it will put you right in the movie. some people have had repair problems with H/Ks, and I might have a problem with mine, I still have to call H/K, ether way they sound so good its worth the risk, they are high currant amps, and so they run hot, so you must let them vent there heat. you writing this thread will bring up the question, what speakers are you running, some receivers match better with some speakers, there are differnt reasons, I think the H/K 645 will match with most speakers but will probably have problems with 4ohm speakers, or super big towers that use huge amounts of watts and you have a big room, I run 6ohm with no problems, http://www.onecall.com/default.aspx?menu=true this site is selling the 645 for $660 , very sweet deal. other recievers I would look at, pioneer elite, adcom, nad, integra, rotel,

Post Number: 2
Thanks for reply Angelo
Room size medium to small.
Long (11m) and narrow(4-5m) .

For speaker I have old pair from sony system.(temporary measurer)

I thought i buy some new ones after choosing the receiver. Is this the best way to go?

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
I think so, speakers can get very expesive and this will allow you to purchase them one at a time, which in turn allows you to recover from each purchase, which allows you to buy higher quallity speaker you normally would not be able to afford, for example if you dont have a sub, which can cost form $500 to $1000 for good ones, you can buy it next and you still have speakers, then buy the fronts, center, then rears. In the meantime you can audition speakers to find out what you like, warm and detailed, or bright and loud

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
were do you live?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
I mean what county?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 154
I own the Pioneer VSX-1016TXVK and I am extremely happy with it.

Highly recommended.

Post Number: 3
Im from New Zealand.
Have a mate from US coming back in 2 weeks and he brining the reciever back with him.
Having to buy a step down transfromer :-( for the power , but will save money.
My bugdet is quite small

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
then I would probably go for the onkyo because there knowen to be one of the toughest receivers as far as handling a lot of abuse, pioneer would be the second choice, just make sure you wont have problems wity power surges and make sure that step down works, david I like the pioneer to

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 277
I would buy the Onkyo to future proof my system. I hear it sounds good and supports 1.3a HDMI and lossless HD audio.

If I were spending hundreds of dollars on anything, I would get something that is the latest and greatest and will take me to the next level. The Onkyo is the only AV receiver I know of that has these features.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
wow, sorry for the bad spelling

Post Number: 4
Thanks to you guys (angelo) for your help and comments they were useful.

I have gone for Onkyo from onecall.
Mainly for price and features (plus your say they are tough receiver which will help back here) which makes it an easier decision to get

Price was great $399 + $25 for frieght.
Which is good , back here it would cost $900+

Speakers next. (hopefully to spent $300 - $400)
Might look for a while as i need to save some more money.

Any good cheap brands to look for ?
Are DIY Speaker good way to go ?

I think just do 5.1 first .

np with spelling angelo

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 168
If you want to spend $400 max on speakers then I would recommend Fluance speakers. You can pick up a nice surround package (minus the sub):

http://fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 278
Come back and tell us how you like your receiver once you have your speakers. Not a lot of reviews on it.

Thanks in advance and I urge you to stretch your budget as much as possible for speakers. Good ones make all the difference and will last a good long time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
very nice simon, and a great price, now for speakers you can make a mistake buying cheap ones all at once, read my post 115 again, it takes patience to buy correctly with in your limits, I just broke in to my penny bank to buy a center channel that I could have buoght a wile back but I held off to buy the best, I found a website thats to good to be true, I checked it out with the distributor and its legit, but untill its in my hands I dont beleive it, so if it dos happen in the next few weeks I will post it, you have your front speakers for now, why dont you go for a sub next

Post Number: 5
Yes , you are right about talking my time.
Im in no rush.
Good luck with centre speaker.

Username: Audiophobe

Post Number: 4
Just a side note. I just bought(and am in the middle of the install) the Onkyo 605. All the bells anwhistle and great sound and power, but boy doeas it run hot! It is a common thing noted with this receiver.

Post Number: 6
Audiophobe did you go for 5.1 setup or 7.1 setup ?? . Is there much different in these sound setups ?

Arrival in 4 days.

Username: Audiophobe

Post Number: 5

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
simon just go for 5.1 all you have to do in the future is ad two speakers if you want, I have 5.1 and problibly wont ad the 7.1, most movies and music only go up to 5.1 anyway, and even to get your system to support 5.1 can be a pain
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us