Want to use the HT-S790 7.1 setup as a 5.1 or 6.1?

Bronze Member
Username: Stangjason

Post Number: 19
I don't have a place for side speakers but this system Onkyo HT-S790 seems to be a very good deal regardless. Will it work well as a 5.1 or 6.1 instead?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1642
­
Stangjason, you will not find many Onkyo lovers on this forum, and for what reason I'm not sure. Some talk about Onkyo's lack of reserve power and there are other vague references about Onkyo's "sound." I shall not get enmeshed in those arguments. I will say that I do respect Onkyo's HTIBs if for no other reason than you get a real receiver with these systems. And the speakers look half-way serious, though I've not spent any time listening to them. After all, we're talking under $400 here. That said, I'll bet this $375 Onk 790 will beat the living crap out of a $1000 Bose "Acoustimass" or whatever they call it.

Ahh, I feel better now. Thanks for listening. Oh yeah, your question....yes, that system will work very well in 5.1, as this C-Net review points out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-in-a/onkyo-ht-s790-silver/4505-6740_7-31930 510.html?tag=pdtl-list
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I've seen that and I must've been day dreaming during the part about the 5.1 setup or I skimmed over it to performance

I'm a huge fan of my dad's Kenwood HTIB which had really big speakers because it had a really good sound prior to the hardwood floor installation that destroyed the accoustics in the room. I now find it sad I can't get a new Kenwood HTIB like his.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1644
­
There may be even more bang for the buck than this Onkyo at under $400 out there, but I don't know what it is.

Yeah, Kenwood is still in business but you don't hear much about them anymore.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 112
nice post John, especially the part about the bose pure puke system. I gess I dont talk about onkyo because why not go for there elite, integra

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1645
­
I don't think Integra sells anything under $400. Good stuff though.

I was looking around the net and I found this. This should be in Ripley's Believe It Or Not:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/501999415

Upload
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1646
­
BTW Stang, I see you're checking out that Polk speaker system on another thread, and here's a screamin' deal on a good AVR:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-817-k/4505-6466_7-32433145.html

This would put you at around $500, but it's probably worth it. Those Polks are probably better than the Onkyo speakers
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
wow if I smoked this is what would have happened to me after seeing the price on the bose lifestyle 48Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
stang, I think the pioneer and the polk would be a great choice, they should pair very wellUpload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Would the Polk speakers and Pioneer Receiver be better than the Onkyo S790 HTIB?

From the reviews I've read the Polks may be unsuitable for big rooms. Our room is big, open floorplan with kitchen and dining area attached to den, but our listening area is about 11-12 feet from the TV with the rear speakers almost right behind us.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1647
­
Did any reviews say the Onkyo 790 was great for big rooms?

Look, I don't know what you spent on the TV, but you should budget at least half that much on audio.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Not really sure if the reviews said the Onkyo system sound good in a larger room but it does have a higher powered and larger subwoofer and larger speakers though I figure that's possibly external compared to actual sound production.

Well my budgets $500 max but preferably $400 or less regardless of what we paid for the TV.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1648
­
Just get the Onkyo. You'll be happy unless you expect it to shake the house during action movies. That'll give you an extra $100 for a DVD player if you need one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us