Need Help: Bought a House with a Projector

Username: Lnester

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a home that has a Sony LCD Projector (VPL-VW10HT) still installed, with a drop-down screen. Also, there are surround sound speakers installed in the walls. Everything is wired to a spot in a closet in the back of the room. I'm sure of the setup, but I see Monster cables still connected.

There is no receiver or DVD player, so I will purchase both. Is there anything special I need to do when hooking these up, or should everything be pretty straight forward. I'm a newbie when it comes to surround sound and projection screens.

Thanks! Great forum!!

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 65
Do you know what the room dimensions are, and what speakers it has?

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 102
When you get the projector fired up, go into the menu and see how much bulb life you have, and find a owners manual, and find out if it has a screen filter on the bulb, and if it dos you will want to clean it, I love pojectors they require tinkering, I just looked at your projector, looks like a nice one, so you should take care of it. If I left a projector behind like this one it would mean the bulb was close to the end, or other problems, If it didnt, I would have lift you the receiver before the projector, is it ceiling mounted?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
to help you more look at the projector hookup, is it composite, S, component, HDMI, and as Aaron says, what speakers, and what is your room like, hold off on buying a receiver untill these things are figured out, is the projector ceiling mounted?

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
do you plan on using the projector just for movies, and have a nice tv for normal use all in the same room, with cable or satlite?

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies.

The projector is ceiling mounted. The room dimensions are approximately 15' wide by 20' long. It's located in a finished basement, so it's really easy to block most if not all light while viewing.

I haven't moved in yet, so I can't tell what speakers are there, or what the hookup is.

I'm getting an HD receiver from DirecTV hooked up to this system. I plan on watching most of my sporting events down there, and probably some movies. I've attached a photo of the setup to give everyone a better idea. There are 3 speakers in front, and 2 in the rear.

Upload

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 66
Looks good! Everything looks clean and professionally done.

Your projector doesn't have HDMI or DVI(all digital) inputs, so buying a receiver with HDMI is pointless unless you plan on purchasing a new projector in the near future (I personally wouldn't upgrade unless you really get into the hobby).

That said, you haven't posted how much you are willing to spend and do you consider features (iPod, XM, multi-room capability) to be as important as performance? As well, do you have a good universal remote (you're going to want one).

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 374
Nice set up. Buy the most advanced receiver you can find and afford. Denon will be coming out in july 07 with new receivers that can handle HDMI 1.3 new sound field from Blue-RAy and HD-DVD

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 67
Casey, his projector doesn't have HDMI ports, so it would be pointless to buy a HDMI receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
how did you take the picture if nothing is hooked up, the projector is on, so can you go into the menu?, and you have not moved in yet?

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 68
Well I'm sure the picture is before the house was sold.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
take a good picture of the closet, so we can see how the receiver and other things can go in and be hooked up

Post Number: 3
Yeah, this pic is from the seller.

So, this projector doesn't have HD capability? I'm confused. I thought this projector can get HD from my DirecTV?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance. :-)

Once I move in next week, I can take a picture of the closet. Again, from a novice, it appeared that all of the speaker wire and cabling from the projector were connected to a "box" in the closet.

This brings up another question I have: if my receiver is in the closet, how do I change the channel? Do I need to put it elsewhere, or will a good universal remote be able to power it from the closet?

Thanks!

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 69
No, the projector has HD capability, however you will use analog Component cables (red/blue/green) to get HD, NOT digital HDMI or DVI cables. This link will help http://www.digitalconnection.com/shopper_videocable.asp

HD doesn't have to have a pure digital connection, it can run over analog cables like Component.

I asked about the universal remote because you will run into the problem just like you asked. Get ready for a crash course in home theater:

Just about every home theater component only recognizes infrared (IR) signals. Just about every remote that comes with a tv, vcr, receiver, etc is an IR remote.
There's two ways to get a signal into the closet, one is with an IR repeater system and the other is with a radio frequency (RF) signal. Your components won't recognize an RF signal, so universal remotes that have RF capability need an RF to IR converter box so that the components can recognize the signal. RF can go through walls and just about anything, and usually works up to 50-100 feet. There's many out there, here's one: http://www.proremotes.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=38

An IR repeater system basically takes the normal IR signal from any remote and sends it down a wire to a receiver box, then sends that signal down a wire to your components. So you put a small sensor on the wall by your screen, and that sensor sends the signal down a wire to a receiver box, and then that box sends the signal through a wire to each component. Something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NuCdCo2ZjoO/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=195050&I=190RCA3 KIT

The previous owner HAD to have one of these set up before, find out if they already have an IR or RF system and/or a good remote in place. This will determine what you need to purchase.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Aaron! Very helpful. So, how can I determine which system was used by looking?

I'm pretty sure there's no remote, but it may be in that closet somewhere. The previous owner left the box for the projector, so maybe its in there.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I will do some snooping once we move in next week to better determine what to get. I will be sure to post back some more pictures of the setup in the closet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Aaron, nice post I dont know much about remotes myself, very usefull, Lee I take that you are not in contact with the seller, so I gess finding out anything about this room is out of the question, is there a sub in the mix, what is that over by the seat against the wall, if its not I wonder if theres a in wall sub, I see a remote on the table, I keep thinking that the room still has the furniture, I like this room, it has a very comfortable feel,

Post Number: 5
Angelo,

You are correct: I am not in contact with the seller. Long story, but the original seller is long gone...we bought from a corporate owner. So, no chance of talking to them. I will have to figure things out once I get there.

That does look like a sub over there on the floor, but I'm pretty sure it's not there any more. Just the 3 speakers in the wall, and the 2 speakers in the ceiling in the rear (not pictured). I haven't even hooked the system up yet so I'm not even sure the speakers and projector even work!

We'll see...

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 70
You can probably find out what you have by looking in the closet and if there's a little box that looks similar to the boxes I posted just post the brand and model # of that box, or do a Google search yourself.

Depending on how much of a DIY'er you are, you may more pleased by finding out who the original installer of the home theater was (unless the owner did it himself) and finding out what you have and what you need to purchase. If you like figuring things out yourself it can be a great start, but stuff like programming semi-complex remotes and receivers can be daunting for someone that doesn't want to take the time to learn. Just an FYI.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Lee, Im sure the speakers work, the projector lamp might be close to done, and if the projector needs to be replaced, the mit HD 1000, is what I have and for under $1000, its the best one to buy, for the receiver I would first look at http://www.onecall.com/Default.aspx?menu=true the H/K 645 is on sale when it came out it was $1500 now its $660, its one of the sweetest sounding receivers out there and very powerful, and the price is unreal, and if you get on the payment plan, if they still have the one year no intrest, it is a high currant amp so it runs very hot so venting is a must, and some people have had repair issues, other quality receivers, Adcom, cambridge 640r, Nad, Pioneer elite, Integra. and if you need a sub or two pinnacle make nice ones, Im not sure how devoted you will be with your room, it`s a nice base room to start with, I like it very much, it has potential

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 71
Lee, we all forgot the most important question, how much are you willing to spend to get all this up and running!

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice, angelo.

I'm only looking to spend $$ for now to get the system up and going. If that's $1,000, great. If it's more, so be it. I'm thinking I'll need a new sub and receiver. Maybe a new bulb.

After I get addicted to it, then I'll start to pour some cash in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
are you still with us Lee?Upload

Post Number: 7
Sorry, I've been in the middle of moving.

My system definitely has an IR system, with the sensor up on top of the projector. I went to a local electronics specialty store, and they're going to hook up my sub and receiver to everything today. Don't know if the bulb is still good or not, but will soon find out.

Thanks for the help...I will post again once everything is up and running.

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 72
Sounds good. What receiver and sub did you end up going with?

Post Number: 8
I got a Denon receiver (don't know what model, but it cost $499) and a Klipsch (sp?) sub.

By the way, does anyone have a good link to a good surge protector and HDMI cables??

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 73
Go here for HDMI cables: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=

They are inexpensive enough there that you should go with the 22AWG size (the smaller the number the thicker the wire inside the cable).

However, why are you buying HDMI cables if your projector doesn't have HDMI?

Post Number: 9
Oh, sorry, I forgot to state that I bought a flat screen HDTV for my living room upstairs. That should have HDMI.

What about surge protection? The electronics store tried to sell me the $300 protector, which sounds like a lot! I went with the $50 protector, and figured I could shop around for a better one at a better price on the internet.

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 74
Yes, the electronics stores aren't making any money on tv's anymore, so they need to push cables and surge protectors and stuff to make a profit these days. As far as what to get, I'm still not convinced a regular surge protector from wal-mart is any different from a high-priced Monster brand protector.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8215
That is a beautiful room. I've been considering a projector for some time now. Good luck and congrats!

Post Number: 10
Wanted to post an update.

Had the flat screen installed upstairs (50" Panasonic plasma 77 model w/glare reduction). Unfortunately, I don't yet have my HD receiver from DirecTV yet, but will soon.

Downstairs, the sub, receiver, and DVD player are hooked into the projector. The IR wires were cut, so it looks like we're going to go with an RF system. And there's a DirecTV HD receiver down there, which is nice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
One final follow-up: how do I check the lamp hours left? When I fire up the projector, it displays a message on the screen to "replace lamp bulb". Before I buy one, I want to check out how many hours have been used on it.

Anyone know?

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
go to the menu it will problibly be under setup or insallation, it will say something like 500H. projector bulbs usually have a 3000H life to them, if there set on low lamp mode, if the lamp is set on high it will chew up the 3000H limit in 2000H, so having it on low is a good thing, call sony and find out if it has a filter, or screen to clean, air restriction can damage a projector fast, and see if you can find a manual, and a projector only displays how many hours have been used on the bulb, once its replaced a reset is done and it gos back to 0, so if your looking for time used on projector there is none, projectors require tinkering, but theres nothing that will give you a better image at a large size

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 280
The left and right in wall speakers are WAY too high. They should be at ear level when seated. They look nice and clean but probably do not provide optimal audio quality.

Maybe if you get the bug, like many of us have, a new set of matched speakers would make a world of difference. Placement is important and so is seating position. Two thirds back in a rectangular room is a good spot. Nice size room and it looks like you are lucky to have the space and the means to make the changes to really have an awesome home theater. Audio is just as important as video so do not overlook this important aspect of a great home theater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
westcott, I didnt mention the speakers because I thought he had to many problems to begin with. westcott, in a past post you mentioned you listen to pink floyd, I was wondering if you had, Atom heart mother

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 281
Angelo,

I have been working to expand my music CD collection and replacing LP's with remastered CD versions but it is a slow process. These are the CD's of Pink Floyd I own now. Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Momentary Lapse of Reason, Dark Side of The Moon. But, on your recommendation, I will order the "cow album" next month (already bought this months allotment) and let you know what I think.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread Lee and I want to reiterate how lucky you are to have the space you have for such an enjoyable past time. Many would love to have the space and room dimensions you have been afforded. Good Luck!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
westcott, Im running an experiment on the song, Alans psychedelic breakfast, so write to me when you get it and we will see if its werthy of a thread, its about how demanding the lower strings on the acoustic guitar are on speakers, after the bowl of rice crispy`s are eaten, at mid to high volumes, wow that would be a long thread titleUpload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I checked the hours, and it lists it around 1,200 hours. However, the "Change Bulb" message still comes on when I power up.

Since bulbs are supposed to last 2000-3000 hrs., I am going to hold off on getting a new bulb. The picture looks fine as far as I can tell.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Lee, call sony and find out if your max time is 2000H or 3000H projectors can be tampered with,

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
lee, if you can get the four front ceiling lites on a separate switch, and the rest on a dimmer if there not allready, then when the projector is on you can shut the four fronts off, the projector will throw enough lite for the front and the dimmer for the back will give enough ambient light, when you have freind over for sports a drinks

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
I would like to see a picture of that open area on the left upper side, Im thinking a bar with sink, refrig in back and a mini on top, a theater popcorn machine, and a 40`` LCD tv up in the corner so when the bears are playing you never have to take your eyes off the gameUpload

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 75
If the picture looks fine then there's no need to change it for now. You can get pickier when you've caught the bug.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
aaron, Im just having fun with the bar thing, just planting seeds, its his place, I could care less what he dos

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
but the light thing wouldnt be that hard to change

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Angelo, there's actually already a wet bar built in the basement (with sink). No popcorn machine, but the bar is fully stocked and ready to go. ;)

Currently, all of the lights are on one dimmer. I'll see how it goes before electrocuting myself trying to change it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
then there is a god

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
the wires for the lights might juntion in the ceiling somewere so you might want a electrician to look at it, it shouldn`t be that hard
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us