JBL Studio series home theater setup questions

Username: Coldfyre22

Post Number: 1
Hey all, I posted this earlier on a JBL forum but I figured you guys here might be able to help me as well, so disregard some of the info thats related to that forum, as the main meat of my question is still in there...

[quote]
Sorry in advance for both a long post and bringing back an old thread but.... here goes!

Hello all, Im new as you all can tell seeing as this is my first post. I am upgrading my surround sound/music setup and the Studio L's caught my eye and upon doing research on them is how I came upon this thread. Took me two days to read it all, but very very good information contained in here!

I will admit I am a total audio newbie but I really want to step up to a good sound HT/music setup. I looked into JBL because my current system is JBL. (Dont laugh) but my current setup is the SCS 125. I bought these for a song with employee discount many moons ago when I used to work as a computer tech at my local Best Buy store. Back when i was 21 years old and I got these they sounded amazing to me considering I never had any type of HT setup or subwoofer etc. Overtime I started realizing how much I could improve upon this system. Now that I am married and have a career and the expendable income to go ahead and upgrade my system, ive decided to do it.

Now im sure there are plenty of other forums that specialize in HT setups and what not, but I figured since Ive definitely decided to go with the Studio L's I would ask my questions to the JBL pros (you guys) in a thread dedicated to the Studio L's.

My living room isnt the largest and I would imagine not the most ideal for a HT setup but you have to work with what ya got. I plan to move to a bigger place in the not too distant future so I want to get soemthign that may be overkill for my current room but will work well in a larger future room. The LR is wider than it is deep in relation to where the couch and the TV are setup and its pretty much the only way I can setup the couch and TV because of room limitations. The room is roughly a rectangle that is 18' x 12' and the ceiling is about 8 1/2 '. Im at work so im guesstimating here but when I get home I can get accurate measurements.

Here is a rudimentary sketch of the room:

[img]http://coldfyre.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p503681876.jpg[/img]

I want to create a 5.1 system to replace my SCS125 5.1. I don't have the money to onvest in 2 extra speakers to do a 7.1 right now. I was considering using the L890's as my front/mains. That part is the only part im absolutely sure about. What Im ambivalent about is which speakers to choose for the center channel and the surrounds in back.

If I go with the LC1 for center it will fit on top of my TV (currently an old CRT projection 48" Mitsu HDTV which is pretty darned big) but from what Ive been hearing from some people they find them a little underpowered and practically every review I've read uses the LC2 as center channel. The LC2 is designed mostly for wall mounting so it would be unstable and probably look a little ungainly resting ontop of the TV. If I mount it on the wall at the same level it would be when sitting on the TV it would stick out 5" from the wall as that is the depth of the speaker, but the Mitsu TV is 24 inches deep. Would this pose a problem, the TV being a good amount farther forward than the center channel speaker? Also mounting the LC2 on the wall would have it behind the plan at which the speakers of the left and right L890's would be at. Maybe it would be better to figure out a way to have the LC2 sit upon the TV?

The other ambivalence I have is to which speakers to use as the rear surrounds and where to place them. Which would be my best bet? The L810's? the L820's? the L830's? Practically eveyr review ive read uses the 820's or 810's with a slight edge to the 820's being used more. Should I mount them on the wall the couch resides on? Should I put them to the sides of the couch on speaker stands? Due to the size of the speakers I cant mount them on the sidewalls because the front door interferes with that type of placement.

I also will eventually need to upgrade my receiver as well. I currently have an older (bought maybe 2-3 years after the SCS 125's) Yamaha receiver. I was looking into replacing it with a newer model Yamaha( I kinda like the Yammy's), possibly this one: RX-V2700 http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451511&CTID=5000300& RLTID=1504&DETYP=RELATION&ATRID=1020

Any help, advice, or comments (both good or bad) are gladly accepted.

Once again sorry for the eternally long post.
[/quote]
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us