Pure Audio Issue :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 15
I have my Playstation 3 and my Sony Upconverting 5 disc DVD player hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR805. Everything is set up properly and I've been tweaking audio setups to my liking.

However, when I select Pure Audio from the receiver menu I lose my Subwoofer response when I'm watching a Blu Ray Disc on the PS3. As a matter of fact I have no bass response period through my Playstation 3 when streaming music from my PC there is still no response from the Sub.

It would seem like I have the Pure Audio configured wrong but if I watch a DVD with Pure Audio on the bass is fine.

I'm very confused and bummed that my PS3 isn't giving me bass

(side note, Speed on Blu Ray is encoded in DTS True HD 5.1 and it sends a strong bass signal through my front speaker towers, a discrete bass signal would make sense in HD but that still doesn't explain zero bass response even during explosions)

:-( someone please help or explain this to me. thanks in advance!

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 16
I heard DTS HD can't be output from a PS3 :-( is this the truth? Another statement for someone that knows what they're talking about to confirm is whether the PS3 is capable of outputting the Other HD audio formats known as Dolby True HD. I've read that the ps3 down converts the audio output or something like that. lol Clearly I'm an amateur as far as all this HD audio stuff is concerned so bear with me.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1632
­
Your 805 (nice receiver!) should be telling you what it is seeing and decoding in its HDMI input. When you play the Speed disc does your receiver read-out look like this?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/JohnS45/Onk805.jpg

I have also read that neither the PS3 nor any other HDMI 1.3 HD player of either format will output any of the advanced audio codecs in bitstream mode. This begs the question--why the hell do we need a 1.3 receiver capable of decoding them?

I have no idea why you have the bass problem on Pure Audio.
­

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 17
Well the display only brings it up as decoding PCM at 48khz so I don't know why it's not 96khz and Dolby True HD and DTS HD aren't even options when i scroll through the receivers viable options. I guess I didn't realize I've got old $2 HDMI cables that probably aren't 1.3 that could be the issue? maybe I'll get a 1.3 hdmi for my ps3. there's always something to buy lol.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1633
­
Nikolas, I seriously doubt you are having problems with the HDMI cable, especially if it is 6ft or under in length. Sure, go ahead and buy an expensive one. You'll be helping the wheels of commerce and increasing your pride of ownership. No, as I said earlier, the PS3 simply does not send HD audio in bitstream on its HDMI output. In order for the receiver to decode DD TrueHD, or even DD+, the incoming signal has to be in bitstream form. And here's the rub:

The PS3 does not output HD audio in bitstream from its HDMI output.

This is one of the biggest swindles in modern A/V history. All the publicity about lossless audio nervana made possible by the promise of HDMI v1.3, and now that people like you have a 1.3 player and a 1.3 receiver you are still high and dry. Well, not completely...you have LPCM. And that's not exactly chopped liver. But any old 1.2 receiver can handle the LPCM stream--you needn't have spent a grand on this shiny new 1.3 receiver to hear the PS3's PCM output. (I'm sure it is a very nice reciever.)

Read this thread....

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3media&thre ad.id=49814&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
­

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 20
lol okay settle down I'm not increasing my pride buy taking comfort in the outlandish idea that a 100 HDMI cable is going to be better than a 5 dollar HDMI cable, I was thinking out loud if you will. Yeah it is a little bit of a let down, but whatever the 1._ is I'm happy with my THX Cinema settings. Thanks for the thread but it's a link to a deleted forum, I'm sure sony didn't appreciate people exploiting and discussing their swindling ways on their own website lol. I guess I'll have to spend another grand to get a 1.3 blu ray player! lol jk

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 21
Okay I figured it out and thought I'd pass it on to you or anyone who cares (or doesn't)

Although the TX-SR800 had a crisp and uncluttered sound with stereo CDs, some might consider it a bit lean. Also, a disadvantage of the Pure Audio and Direct modes is that the subwoofer is no longer active because the DSP is bypassed. This was not so much of a problem with the floorstanding Mirage Omni 260, or even the Axiom M3ti speaker, which has remarkable bass for such a compact bookshelf speaker, but I'm sure that many people will be bothered by the lack of output from their subwoofer. Even with these caveats, I enjoyed the TX-SR800's clean, detailed sound with stereo CDs. I much preferred it to the undistinguished sound of many other receivers at or near this price.

So that reviewer points out my issue. :-)

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1634
­
I'm not sure why that playstation forum link above didn't work for you, because it works for me. It was started by some dude with an Onk 605 with your same complaint about the receiver getting PCM audio on the HDMI all the time. Anyway to be clear here, the fault lies with the players and not this receiver. Onkyo is to be commended for being so timely, and I'm sure when the pros review the 605/805's it'll be positive. If the THX Ultra2 certification still means anything, then you know the 805 is a serious receiver.

"Also, a disadvantage of the Pure Audio and Direct modes is that the subwoofer is no longer active because the DSP is bypassed."

"It would seem like I have the Pure Audio configured wrong but if I watch a DVD with Pure Audio on the bass is fine."

OK, but why was the bass OK when you played a DVD?
­

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 22
Yeah still trying to figure that one out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us