Technology is going too far...

Username: Audioearz1

TinyVille , NB Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone,
As the old saying goes, United we stand...devided we fall..
Saying this I hope that others that are fed up with the way technology has a grip on our pocketbooks see my biff the same way!
A few years ago I went out with a bit of money that took me several paychecks to save up for (1 1/2 years worth) and purchase a decent home theatre system. Something in the higher end component area. This goes without saying I have nothing against the "home theatre in a box" It is just that I prefered something on a upper scale.
After totalling up the final cost of everything from the flat screen tv (the goin thing at that time)to the wires that feed the speakers as well as the banana plugs and all other "requirements" needed to set up my home theatre it came out to a hefty $3800.00 bill.
A few years have since past and since then the marvel of technology has once again attempted its pull on my pocket.
I have, like the average joe that also has to pay bills, put a stop to the spending. I just wish I could put an stop to the advancements in technology!
My suggestion to the billion dollar industry would be to reduce the stereo component prices so that when the item (amplifier, DVD player LCDTV...) does become obsolete two years (or sooner) down the road that it wouldn't be such a heart ache and expensive task of tossing out the old and purchasing the new.
Another suggestion (that holds no water!) is that people who have decided to make thier audio system a hobby to keep from keepin up with the "Jones'" If we keep from keeping up with the newest thing on the shelf perhaps then and only then will these big name mfg's would slow down with the technology and us everyday "Jones'" will be able to afford to enjoy the components we so dearly had to save up for.
Just a thought!!
Audioearz1

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 83
I'm not sure why you would want to put an end to "advancements in technology." No one is forcing you to constantly upgrade your gear.

I've had the same speakers for eight years, and I don't intend to replace them anytime soon. I have a 5.1 system, and there have been no significant technological changes that have made me want to upgrade my DVD player or receiver for several years. I did decide to spend $150 or so on a Pioneer universal DVD player so I could enjoy SACD/DVD-A recordings, and the old DVD player is now heavily used by my four-year-old.

I did upgrade my TV last year, and I intend on keeping it for several years. I know better TVs will hit the market in that time, but I will still be very happy with mine for years to come.

HD-DVD and Blu Ray are interesting, but I'm in no rush to buy either. Yes, it takes lots of cash to stay on the bleeding edge of technology, but few people have the desire or resources to do so. It's up to you to decide what new technology is worth to you. If you are satisfied with what you have now, then don't worry about keeping up with the latest and greatest.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 185
You're railing against technology advancements?

Nobody is telling you to upgrade. If advancements upset you so, I suggest you stick with old technology.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us