Can a faulty Component Cable have an effect on an HDMI connection?

Bronze Member
Username: Tase2

Post Number: 11
Equipment:
Sony KDF-E42A10 HDTV
Pioneer Elite VSX-82TSX Receiver
Oppo DV970HD DVD
Velodyne CHT Front Row Speakers
Tivo Series 3

Briefly:

I have a Tivo Series 3 that has an HDMI port.

I had it for 6 months, no problem.

I upgraded my entire HT-nothing major mind you.

Anyway I figured as long as I was doing a little upgrading, I would upgrade my component cables as well. After I connected the new cables, or shortly after, I lost my HDMI connection from my Tivo. I did not make any correlation at that time as I had some other changes in the setup as well.

I did some troubleshooting with Tivo and we could not figure it out, so it was determined I should send under warranty Tivo in for an exchange.

Mind you before I was authorized for the exchange we tried many, many things, including using a verified working HDMI cable from Tivo to TV, and nothing.

This brings us to yesterday. I connect with the same new component cables and verified working HDMI cable. I power up the new Tivo and I was able to view the "welcome" screen via components and HDMI.

Since it was a new Tivo it needed to reboot itself to get to guided setup. Well after this first reboot, boom no HDMI.

This was late yesterday so I just figured I'd wait until today. So I woke up extra early before work

I powered up the Tivo and noticed the component was all blurry and unclear, but HDMI was working again.

I went behind and saw the green component cable had become a little loose, so I pushed it back in. I came back around the front and the component input was now clear as a bell. Check HDMI-Gone!

Go behind again, unplug the green component cable and back to fuzzy on component input (obviously), but check HDMI and son of a gun it was back.

Before I left I switched out to the actual Tivo issued component cables and now both component and HDMI were working

So all this long winded post, I want to know if a faulty component cable can really actually effect an HDMI connection?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

---------------------------

Like I said with the old Tivo, I was never able to get the HDMI connection back, so just for my own FYI, could the faulty component cable actually permanently disable the HDMI port?

----------------------------

FYI

I need to have both connected so we (mostly my wife) can watch TV using TV speakers and not need to power on the AVR at all.

And I need HDMI for full video switching through the AVR.

Thanks for letting me ramble (I got to cut down on the caffeine )

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1565
­
Mark, I'm glad you added the "FYI" note, because through your post I'm asking why does he need both??

You have a wierd problem there, I can't help much but maybe somebody can here. If not, maybe you should post this question on the TiVo Series3 Community Forum.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks

I actually live at TCF.

I was digging around the net for HDMI related forums.

Thanks again

If I find anything out, I will come back to post it.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1566
I want to know if a faulty component cable can really actually effect an HDMI connection?

I don't see how, especially since component is analog and HDMI is digital. But your experience would seem to prove otherwise. "Upgrades" (meaning more money spent) don't always result in better performance. That said, it seems to me if the new component really is faulty, it would not be "clear as a bell" part of the time. Strange things can happen in electronics, I guess.

BTW, how are your CableCARDs working?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
BTW, how are your CableCARDs working?

Hopefully I can let you know tomorrow.

I have been trying to find a way to get them "paired" by Comcast without a truck roll.

Finally yesterday I spoke to a mid-level tech that said he knows all about the CC's and if I called him, he will try without a truck roll.

He actually gave me his direct phone number.

The problem is he only work until 6PM EDT, and I don't get home until 5. I knew there would be no way to even reach the CC screen in time since it was the initial power up.

I am going to rush home today and call him, hopefully there will be success.

I have an appt for a tech to come out tomorrow just in case.

But for the first 6 months with the original S3, no problems at all, once the tech left, and I go it running. Zero CC issues.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1567
­
http://www.medialoper.com/columns/actual-mileage/adventures-with-the-cable-compa ny/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us