I need help choosing between 6.1 and 7.1

Username: Whitefire70

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to find a good receiver for my home. I have the pre-wired surround sound speakers in the ceiling of the entertainment area. There are six spots, fr center fl, rr rcenter rl, and sub wiring. I want a receiver with hdmi capability, but the problem I'm running into is that I can only find home theater receivers that have what I'm looking for only in 7.1 channels. Can I use a 7.1 receiver to pump sound out of my 6.1 setup? What would be the best 6.1 or 7.1 receiver to use? Keep in mind that I don't have an unlimited budget to blow on this. Thanks for any help.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14023
And what is that budget?

Username: Whitefire70

Post Number: 2
Well I'd like to keep it at around $300 to $500

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14028
Look around for a Pioneer VSX 1016.

Do not worry about a 6.1 vs. 7.1 set up yet. Your receiver is adaptable to this and there really isn't a lot of media that is encoded for 7.1 or 6.1.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 263
If I were going to spend hundreds of dollars on a new receiver, I would get one that supports the latest HD audio and video. The only one I know of that is available at this time is the new Onkyo TX SR605

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5441

I have seen some great deals on this unit for less than $500 if you do a search on the internet. Has all the latest bells and whistles you will need for now and well into the future including lossless HD audio support.

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 83
7.1, it's one louder in it!?

Username: Wasakwbeliever

Bumsville, NB Canada

Post Number: 1
The Denon AVR 3802 (awsome receiver!) has the 5.1 to 7.1 outs on it and works well with all channels. Not sure if you will beable to locate one. Try e-bay!
Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us