Dorm Room 5.1

Username: Aomagman78

Post Number: 1
So, I'm a student at Univ. South Carolina and I'm gonna be an RA next year which means I get a room to myself. I'm a movie freak and am pumped out building a home theatre in there. My room is gonna be 178 sq ft, bout 15x12x10 l/w/h. The walls are all straight concrete, four of them. Ground is linoleum with 1/2 inch carpet on about 90% of it, no padding. I'm lookin to put in a 5.1 system for about 1500 bucks or so but could do as much as 2000 if it'll mean a serious quality difference. Obviously, the TV will push out about a foot from the wall, plus the rear speakers will need to actually be behind the couch, so we're lookin' at about 10 feet between the couch and the TV, not a whole lot of room. Now my uncle is hooking me up with some real nice, Klipsch 15" woofer monitors from like 1992, but he's an audiofreak and they're in top condition. I know very little about audio but he kept sayin something about "these are audiophiles, klipsch horns" blah blah, so i'm sure they'll hold their own. That leaves all 1500 for subwoofer, center, two rears, receiver and cables. Now I don't know much about any of this so I'm gonna need a lot of help. I came up with this list of speakers, but I have no idea if it's a good balance or not and I couldn't decide between surrounds or bookshelfs for the rears, but here it is:

Klipsch RB-35's ($560)or SS-1 Surrounds ($300)
Klipsch RC-7 Center ($600)
Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer ($380)
Receiver ??
Cables ??

Also, is there anything I can put on my walls that's fairly inexpensive to help with sound quality. I can't drill obviously so I don't know what would work just with tape or sticky tack. Also, any lighting or other accessories that might help or be a solid investment. I'm lookin' for this to last me a long long while. Well this is my problem. Also, the TV will probably be a 42 or 50 inch Samsung DLP if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and i'm gonna try to find the exact model of those monitors my uncle is giving me if that helps any.

-Shawn Fink

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1559
­
I'll let others recommend the best receiver for Klipsch. But I'm willing to bet those two 15" woofers are going to give you lots of bass. So maybe a subwoofer should be at the bottom of the list.

Post Number: 4
Hmm, never really thought about that. Valid point though. I don't know much bout'm, but you think they'll provide the driving bass for movies well?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1560
­
You need to get the model number of those speakers. If they are the Chorus IIs, then maybe yes a sub could be overkill. Klipsch rates them (conservatively) down to 39Hz, but I suspect they roll off very slowly below that. Especially in your room. I would get the system together first, listen for a while, then decide what to do about the sub issue.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/chorus-ii.aspx
­

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 179
If you build your system well enough, you might be the source of complaints...right?

LOL

It's kinda hard to tell others to 'keep it down' if you're the grand blaster flash!!

Post Number: 5
So I got the speakers, a pair of Quartet's they look beautiful. Any good suggestions for amp/reveicers? Wanna get it quick so I can hear these things. HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 181
So you bought speakers, but own nothing to run them? :-)

What's your major? Is it liberal arts related?

PS.... I can offer you a great deal on a horse drawn cart.
(horse not included)

Post Number: 6
Nah, Chem. Engineering. I got the speakers free, so it wasn't like I had a choice on the timeframe. I'll probably get the TV and surorunds toward the end of summer, but I'd like to listen to these things soon. Receiver ideas?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us