Advice on REALLY cheap system??

Username: Javaheidi

Post Number: 1
Hey Everyone,

I'm totally new to this and have never owned a home theater system. I've been doing a little research, trying to find a really cheapsystem--like under $200. Unfortunately, many of the ones I've looked at have had complaints on Amazon or epinions about them just quitting or only partially working after just a few months!! Since the point is to save money and not have to keep shelling out for a new system every few months or so, I was hoping to find something decent for as little $$ as possible.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, basically just an upgrade to the sound my TV currently has. I've got a Philips 30pw9110d/37(for anyone who's really interested, specs for this can be found at: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/30pw9110d_37/30pw9110d_37_pss_aen.pdf ) I'm receiving my TV signal via digital cable through a Motorola DCT6412 DVR STB.

Has anyone out there seen a system in this price range that they know will last longer than a year and actually be an improvement to my current sound?

Thanks in advance to anyone with any advice!! I hate being a newbie, but it's great to know there are people out there who can send me in the right direction. And if there has already been a recent thread on just this issue, so sorry and where is it?

Heidi

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13961
The problem with really cheap systems would exactly be that they are cheap.
But there are systems out there nowadays that will fit the bill...although not in abundance.

Try the Pioneer HTP-2750DV...I believe it is available in Best Buy for $199.

Post Number: 2
You're right Bernie, it does look like a lot of bang for the buck, and it got (2) great reviews on epinion. The only problem is that we specifically got a DVD player with an HDMI output when we got the new TV. I think I'd prefer to get a system without a DVD player. Is this a mistake? Are the systems that have their own DVD player generally better?

Thanks!!

Heidi

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13970
Not a mistake at all. Systems without a DVD player are usually better...that's another component you don't have to worry about breaking.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1552
­
I believe the most current Pioneer in this range is the HTB-2900:

http://www.epinions.com/Pioneer_HTP_2900_System

You can read more about it at pioneerelectronics.com

Post Number: 3
Can anyone give me any suggestions for the numbers I should be going for. I'm talking about watts and stuff like that which I really have no clue about.

Heidi

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1553
­
Heidi, you shouldn't be too terribly picky about sub-$200 HTIBs. The biggest problem with most is that they don't have adequate inputs, especially digital audio inputs. It's these you will want to use for your DVD player and your cable DVR. This means that the receiver should also have DD 5.1, DTS 5.1 and DD PLII decoding. You will also want at least a couple of analog audio inputs for use with VCRs, cassette decks, etc.

The power ratings for units in this price class are inflated and are therefore meaningless. That's OK though, since the speaker sets that come with these systems are of limited dynamic range and cannot fill large rooms with distortion free theater sound levels.

Here's another decent unit in this price class:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4162257&JRSource=googlebase.d atafeed.SON+HTDDW790
­

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13975
^^^Exactly! Don't get too caught up in the ratings game, impressive as they seem.

Post Number: 4
Okay, that Sony system looks like the best option around. I've just found it for under $200 shipped from Circuit City. I think I'm gonna go for it!!

Thanks sooooo much for all of the advice, you guys. I will definitely post a review of the system!!

HeidiUpload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13977
Good luck and enjoy.

Post Number: 5
Berny, the email I got with the text of your reply says "Avoid Sony". Why is that? The only brand I've ever had consistent problems with was Aiwa, which I believe was/is Sony's test brand or something like that. Everyone I new who had their multi-disc (I think it was 3 discs, maybe more) players back in the mid to late 90's had the same problem with the carousel breaking down. But why do you think I should avoid Sony???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13979
I am not a big fan of Sony when it comes to audio equipment. They have weak power supplies and very notorious for over inflated ratings. I retracted it because most of the equipment at that price range are pretty much the same. And I have ran into other Sony owners that are not too happy with their system in the reliability department.

Not too much within the Pioneer systems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us