DIY Subwoofer

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 141
Hi guys,

Right now, I am thinking about building myself a subwoofer. Please weigh in on any part of this process. First, I will probably go to Goodwill and get a pair of cheap, used bookshelf speakers with large woofers. (Last time I checked, all speakers at Goodwill were weird brands that no one has ever heard of.) Then, I will rip out both woofers and install them in a custom box, with one facing down and the other facing forward. Then, I will connect each one to the outputs on my Hafler DH 220 stereo amp. Let me know what you think about the two woofers idea or the whole plan in general. This will only cost me $20-40 so I am worried about what the finished product will sound like.

Thanks for your input,
Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2408
With around 100w a channel (or more) make sure that the woofers you get look good enough on excursion if you expect this to get down deep enough (30hz or so).

As you should know, the box you put it in can make a huge impact. Since these probably won't have much displacement in the first place you should probably (unless you REALLY worry about sound like transients and woofer control) stay away from sealed. If this is for home theater, I'd move towards a 4th or 6th order (prob 4th) bandpass system designed for the specs of the drivers (they're measurable). If you know what you're doing you can design a pretty good sounding bandpass system or if you're not so comfortable with bandpass you can make a ported design. If you're just wanting sealed really make sure you match the T/S specs (remember, measurable) of the drivers to the box you put them in if you want good sound out of it.

If you already knew all this, great. If not, tell me.

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 142
Thanks for the help.

Let's, for the moment, pretend that I didn't understand a word of what you said beyond the word "the". Alright, you don't have to pretend, I really did not understand a word that you said. The good news is that I would be very interested to learn, if you could indulge me.

Thanks,
Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Just a matte... Missouri

Post Number: 2410
Maybe I can organize my post a little more.

First of all, your amp will put out ~100 watts RMS at 8-ohms. This means that you need to choose bookshelf speakers with drivers that look like they can move enough to handle 100w at 30hz or so and not go past maximum in and out length.

Second, since the drivers probably won't be awesome in the first place, you'll want to make sure and measure the T/S specs (wait a minute) so you can build the right box type in accordance with the specs you get.

This site should help explain box types (among other things) www.diysubwoofers.org/ and this one should help explain how to measure T/S specs http://www.diysubwoofers.org/measure.htm . They're the same site, but I thought I should show the page straight there. If you look there, you can probably learn a few things by reading through it and can make an educated decision on what box type and size would match the woofers you end up with. Enjoy. Ask questions if you need to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us