Home Theatre under $1000?

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 145
I had a fidek home theatre system, which actually was given to me by my cousin, coz he had purchased one a while ago.. Its been like 2yrs now and honestly Its a piece of junk, it sounds horrible, made in china I guess..

So I was thinkin of purchasing a new home theatre and budget around $1000, can be a little flexible though at around 1500$ also but It should be worth every extra penny spent..
I did a little research, on a couple of brands which I would state as follows:- Oh yeah would be driving them with a denon(140watts a/v receiver).
1.Defenitive Techs
2.B&W(lower models)
3.onkyo
4.Jamo
5.JBL

And their were a few other brands also, but focused on these, actually would cut out jbl as well... I did like the defen techs though and well within my budget. Room is of no problem, ample amount of space..
Could u'll suggest any other good sounding home theatre coz I watch a whole load of movies..
thanks...........

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13923
Being made in china has nothing to do with it...it is just junk, no matter where it is made :-)

I am figuring with all the question you have posed within the forums that you would have been better equipped to piece together your system. It is not so easy when it comes to your own system, huh?

Most of my recommendations are based on my experience and not usually because of reviews so take it with a grain of salt. These are also my own personal preference, and you know by now that your perceptions might be drastically different from mine.

With the choices you've given, I would immediately remove the Onkyo and JBL speakers. I just don not think they sound great and lacks detail.

I like the Definitive Technology and B&W with the Denon pairing. I have only heard Jamo a few times and have had not enough listening time to make an adequate judgement, but from the few times I've heard them, they were pretty impressive.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 53
You want bookshelves or towers? Bipole or dipole or all direct? 5.1 or 7.1? Subwoofer as well?

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 147
Bookshelves/direct/7.1 preferably but 5.1 would do also and subwoofer very much... (It also doesn't really matter if they are towers as well, since I got plenty of room, but looking for somethin thats got good punch)

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 55
Def Tech and B&W are nice, but I think you could get more bang for your buck for a home theater at your price point if you looked at internet-only speakers: like HSU, AV123, Aperion, SVS etc. Check these out:

http://hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast3.html

7.1, 6.5" woofers, horn tweeters, and a really nice sub at $1499, however shipping is $175 so that would take you over. You could do the Enthusiast 2 package and add 2 speakers to make it $1349 with shipping, only difference is a less powerful sub. The bookshelves are pretty big and should do really well in movies. With HSU you actually get a better deal buying the package than the speakers separately fyi. They have a 30-day trial so if you don't like them send them back.

Also check these out:

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=93.1

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=92.1

These are excellent 5.1 systems however the sub is going to be not a strong as the HSU packages. If you added 2 more speakers you'd be under 1100-1200 plus shipping. What you could do is buy separately 3 x-cs speakers for your mains, then get 4 x-ls speakers for your surrounds and surround backs which would put you under $900 without a sub. You could then buy whatever sub you wanted and your budget allowed. The more I think about it this would be a pretty sweet setup. These are really good speakers (for the price) and I doubt you could come close at this price point buying some Def Techs or B&W or anything else you get at a brick and mortar store. To get one of those brands in the $1000-1500 range you would be buying one of their micro systems with small drivers and relying a lot on the sub for the mid-range. With the AV123 or HSU speakers you get 6.5" drivers that sound really good and should reproduce movies well, plus a 30-day trial.

Another option is:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

For subs look at SVS, HSU, or if money is getting tight, the BIC H-100 (buy new on eBay, talk them down to $200). Heck you could buy 2 of them even.

Bronze Member

TX USA

Post Number: 56
As a follow-up to my post, my reasoning behind my recommendations is the fact that you said your room has "ample space" which to me means "big." And for a big room you want speakers that can fill it easily and I would rather have big, cheap (but still nice) internet-only brands to fill a room than trying to buy the low-end of a high-end brand and not be satisfied when I don't have the impact I was hoping to get. I would be looking for 5.25-6.5" woofers in the speakers and a 10-12" sub that has the extension and output to fill a nice size room. If you gave the dimensions of your room that would help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us