AVR Difficult choice to make!!

Username: Kataklism

Post Number: 1
Hey guys!
I'm new to this board and I need your help. I'm planning to buy a new receiver. After some research, I narrow my choices with these two: Harman Kardon AVR 340 and Denon AVR-2307CI. I could have both for the same price! The problem is that I can't tell which one is the best between the two. I'm planning to buy either Klipsch rf-82 or Paradigm Monitor 11. I already have a HSU sub VTF-3 Mk-2
So if you could help me in my decision, I would be very glad!

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13875
Paradigm with Denon or Klipsch with HK. You can go either way and you lose nothing except for the features you can live with or without.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 254
I would go with the new Onkyo so that you can get HDMI 1.3 and the new HD audio codec support. You will not get that with either of the receivers you are debating. And I am a big Denon fan. I used to be an HK fan but their quality has really taken a turn for the worse. My buddy went through three units in just as many months. Not a good sign.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5441

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 70
westcott, witch one did he go threw, I have the 645 and I read a lot of bad reveiws be for I baught it, even bad reveiws said how good they sound, I know now that most of the bad reveiws came from the lower end models below the 445, I knew what I was doing, I have a backup reciever just in case, in the future Im going to separates

Username: Kataklism

Post Number: 2
Hi all! thanks for your suggestions! I really appreciate it! Wescott, I saw the onkyo and it looks very good... I bought the HK but now im not sure if i will bring it back or not...!

Hi Angelo,

I went with the HK, but i'm not sure if i will keep it or send it back, like i just said. But like you said, it sounds really good! I didnt have time to test it a lot, but from what I noticed: no HDMI for the 340 version, the manual and the remote are awful and if you have speakers that need a lot of power from the receiver (passive sub), maybe the HK is not the best choice for you (especially fro surround sound)! I hope it helps. But the features are nice, the look is awesome, and the sound is just great!!

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 255
I am not sure which two models failed. I will have to drop my buddy a note and find out for you.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 256
One was an HK645.

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 72
with my 645 the manual and remote was confusing the first night, but then when I figured it out it is really simple, I love my unit, but Im having a problem with it now, the center channel stops working sometimes when switching to things like, no serround to serround, I hooked up opt to my 360 and when i listen to music the center dont work with dolby 11, but then will with logic 7, but with movies both work, the other night I switched it to serround off, then when I switch it back to dolby to watch a movie it wasnt working so I switch it back then back and there was a crackling then pop, then it worked fine, but now I not fine

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 257
The only saving grace is that HK has been good about replacing or returning money on defective units.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us