What wall to use on a vaulted ceiling.

Username: Darsan

Post Number: 1
Hi, Im going to set up a dedicated media room, and it happens to have a vaulted ceiling. I plan to hang the plasma (Pioneer PDP-5070HD) on the wall with a extendible arm mount. I also purchased the Onkyo HT-S907 htib with 7.1 surround. My question is should I (for acoustics) mount the tv and front speakers on the tall wall facing the short wall or vice-versa. any advice would be apreciated. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 171
Every room in your home is bad acoustically if left untreated. Without charting frequency response at your primary seating position with the room configured each way, you wont be able to tell which positioning is best.

Without getting too complex & keeping this at an acoustics 101 level, you should place bass traps in each of the 4 corners where physically possible, and hang acoustic panels at each first reflection point to treat reflection issues that exist in every room.

Acoustic treatment can be as complex as you make it, but drastic and very real benefits can be realized by only employing basic treatment principles.

Username: Darsan

Post Number: 2
thanks for the info. I do plan to use acoustic panels and have been researching treating the walls but cant find much on how the slope of the ceiling will effect the sound. anyone with any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 175
High ceilings add volume to your room, which means you need to create more output to fill the room with X amount of SPL, and a ceiling not parallel to the floor is a good thing. The worst kind of room for acoustical purposes is a cube, and any irregularities and deviations from that shape is a plus.

I also want to expand on my previous comment with regard to whether to position your TV on the tall or short wall. After giving it some more thought, I think you'll probably want to position your screen along the tall wall because having the first ceiling reflection point on the higher ceiling makes good acoustic sense. If that first ceiling reflection was on the lower ceiling, that reflection will be significantly more pronounced and require more acoustic treatment.

Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 223
You want to place the front channels and display on the narrowest wall, hopefully placing the seating area two thirds back into the room in the long direction. Ceiling height is a good thing, as stated earlier but room width vs height is far more important for audio. As also stated, a square room is less desirable. You do not want to sit in the center or against the wall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us