A/v receiver advice please

Username: Allmusicathome

Post Number: 10
I'm thinking about a new a/v receiver to replace the older Sony one. The speakers are Paradigms (Mini Monitors in front, Atoms in rear, PDR-10 sub and cc-190 center channel). The source is an older Sony dvd player, which will be replaced in time. We do have an hd cable box, and the tv is hdtv. This system is used mainly for movies and tv, probably 80% (music is 20%). The budget is under $500, if possible, and we don't have to have the latest and greatest model. The possibilities seem to include some by Yamaha, Harmon Kardon and Denon. Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 90
i would look into the onkyo sr-804 or the model right under it, the 804 you can get for 600 to 700 dollars and i think you would really appriciate the HDMI on it you can plug in you hd cable box and your dvd player and any other components in to it and have one HDMI cable going to the tv so you dont have to switch inputs on your tv. the 604 is under 500 and also has HDMI the only difference is the 804 is THX certified

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I've read some information about dvi/hdcp and hdmi/hdcp. Someone also mentioned that the Onkyo 604 and 804 hdmi won't work (when and if hdcp applies in the future) unless the tv has hdcp as well. Our tv is two years old - a Sony with hdmi. The cable box brings the hd signal into the house, and we use a cable connected to the tv for hd. we don't have to switch anything to go between hd and non-hd. Someone has suggested the NAD T744 as a possibility. We have an NAD receiver with our music system, and love it, but have reservations about their home theater receivers based on past reviews. Plus, the NAD T744 is above our budget. Any others we should consider? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 91
i myself have an Onkyo 804 and i have no idea what you mean by the HDCp i watch Blu-ray movies and watch HD cable all the time on my 42" plasma HD TV and everything is perfect. i know that companys stoped using the HDCP restriction along time ago because it restricted alot of people to DVD quality instead of HD. for your budget these would certainly be the best. i dont mean switching input channels from HD channels and SD chanels i mean from different components like DVD, cable, game consols, and what ever else you use. but like i said for the money i would go Onkyo i have for years

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for the info. The advice that we seem to be getting most often is to go with Onkyo. The 604 seems to be the one that fits the budget now, and prices may drop on the 604 and 804 in the next few months as new models are released. It has been suggested that we wait for the 605. I can't see buying a Blu-Ray dvd player for another year or so due to budget. Is is worth the wait for the 605, or would the 604 or 804 be a bargain and fit our needs? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 93
go ahead and get the 605 if you plan on getting a blu-ray player. but you can still get HD audio with the anolog inputs on the 604 and 804 but the 605 would make it easier

Username: Joea

Post Number: 1
I just purchase a Yamaha rxv563 AV 7.1. I puchased this reeiver so that I can use HDMI cables. I am have having an issue with my cable box. I plug the HDMI from the TV to the output of the receiver. I then connected (HDMI) cable from the cable box to the receiver (output), leaving one port for my dvd. I set the cable box audio/video to 10801/480p. when I shut down the TV, receiver and cable box, and then turn back on, the cable defaults back to 720p/480i. the cable company is saying that their is no issues with the box and Yamaha is saying that the receiver doesn't interfer with the cable box. How do I solve this issue?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 445
Greetings Joe,

I am not sure that you actually have a problem but please tell me what remote you are using to adjust the setting you are concerned with.

A few things here that could be helpful, first (and least important) is that this should have been started with a new thread but anyway...

The next issue is how the signals flow in this system. The thing should be hooked up FROM the cable box OUT to the receive IN. Then the receiver OUT to the TV IN.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us