Help! humming from speakers!

Username: Rizzle

Post Number: 1
We just got a Sony surround sound system today (DAV-BC250), have it all set up, working with the DVD player and TV.

but.....when the reciever is on video mode (for watching tv) there is a humming noise, but it is not there on DVD mode.

Components that are attached to the reciever are a Samsung LCD TV and digital cable box.

and yes, we have read the manual for both the TV and the surround sound haha ;)

Thanks for any help!

Leanne

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1512
­
First thing is replace the audio patch cord leading from the cable box into the Sony. Old or defective cords can cause lots of unwanted noise.

If that doesn't work, there could be a problem with the cable box itself. Before you call the cable company, make sure the volume control on the cable box itself (if there is one) is turned all the way up.
­

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 226
I would check to make sure the outlet is properly grounded. A plug checker can be had at the home center for a handful of dollars.

I would also suggest a quality surge protector. I use the Tripp Lite units.

I would also try to use an extension cord to another outlet on a different circuit temporarily to see if that eliminates the hum.

Some older homes are not grounded at all and some new houses can have a bad connection.

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 71
Check out this limk, hope it helps.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connecting-your-system/ground-loops-eliminatin g-system-hum-and-buzz/?searchterm=humming

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 187
My guess is it is noise from the Samsung. Disconnect it and see if that input still hums.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us