Help needed with budget HT

Username: Jambumali

Post Number: 6
I am planning for a home theater to enhance my movie experience, with occasional music. I live in a small town in India, where taxes are very high. We have to pay 2 to 3 times the price in the US.

My room size is ~ 15ft x 20ft.

Choice is limited to (due to limited availability):

1. Onkyo Tx SR 304E + HT230 (bundled)
2. Onkyo HTS 590 (am worried if the lack of powered sub will be a big difference)
3. Onkyo Tx SR 304E + JBL SCS 140 BK (separates)
4. Pioneer VSX 416S + JBL SCS 140 BK (bundled)
5. Onkyo Tx SR 304E + JBL SCS 260.5 (separates)
6. HK AVR 132 + JBL SCS 200.5 (bundled)

The last two #5 & #6 will really stretch my budget these will cost ~US $ 1100 (due to high taxes).

Is the Pioneer OK? in comparison with Onkyo & HK.

I am not an expert, but do enjoy good sound. I have JBL in my car and can feel the difference between them and Pioneer, Kenwood which sell the most in car audio in India.

Any advice, guidance will be most appreciated. I live in a small town, and will not buying this everyday. So will need max help on the subject. Thank all of you for the forums which do provide great info for uninitiated people like me.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13757
Car Audio is very different from Home Audio and what may sound spectacular in the car is not going to be the same at home.

Any of your choices will provide you with what you need, but personally, I am not fond of the JBL SCS series. They sound muffled and restricted and so are the Onkyo bundled speakers.

The important thing is that you listen to the set up and decide for yourself

Post Number: 8
Thank you for your time.

The reason I had mentioned Onkyo 230 (5.1) speakers is that the 240 (6.1) had rec'd cnet editors choice mark.

Any comment on the HK AVR132, it comes with a 3-year warranty.

What about Yamaha HT package - NSP 110 ( Pl. understand if I mention obsolete systems (they are the only ones available at my place) I could not even find it in Google - hence the query to you guys). Or the other budget Yamaha packages.

If I combine Yamaha speakers - NSP - 110 (costs $500 here), 236, 320 or, 1600 with the Onkyo 304E, will that be better?

Or how about the Onkyo HT S590 ( I had read about the humming issues & non-powered sub, on these forums), will it be better than the combos I had mentioned?

Thank you, once again, for your time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
One more thing, the main problem, as I mentioned is that I may have to buy without listening, hence the research and requests for guidance.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13785
It is not a good idea to post the same stuff in different areas.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Fully accept that view - did that only to increase possibility of more people seeing the request.

No other reason. My apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Request replies in the HT https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/8607.html

thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us