Help with Home surround sound...

Username: Leftyrockr

Post Number: 1
I recently came into posession of a stereo with Dolby 5.1 surround sound capabilities. I'd like to hook the surround sound up, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have everything that I need. The back of the stereo has 4 audio inputs for a DvD player, as well as 2 other input that say MD/video on them. What I'd like to do is hook up the TV or the DvD player to the stereo. I've heard the word modulator floating around some help sites for surround sound, and do I need it to use the surround sound?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

-leftyrockr

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13707
What model receiver is it?

To hook up the TV, you need to connect the Audio Output of the TV to the receiver's inputs.

Same with the DVD player. Check the receiver for a Digital Audio input...this is only 1 connection and not the conventional left/right RCA inputs. If the DVD player has a Digital Audio output use it to connect to the receiver.

Post Number: 2
The Stereo Model number is Sony RXD7AV. I don't think that it has a digital audio input. It has an Output, but not an input.

Oh, and a few questions:

1. Will the tv get surround sound if I just plug it in to the left and right jacks?

2. If I don't have a way to hook up the digital audio input, is there any way to get surround sound with the dvd?

Oh, and I messed up in my previous post. The back of the stereo has 5 inputs for the dvd player, not four.

Thanks again for your help

-leftyrockr

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13709
If that is a compact stereo system...you will need 5.1 analog outputs from your DVD player to get surround sound.

If your DVD player only has the stereo (l/r) analog output then connect that to the input of the Sony. You will not get true surround with this method, just matrixed surround.

And since there is only one RCA input for this compact system, you need to decide which equipment to use for the input or get an audio switch for multiple inputs.

Post Number: 3
Okay, could you point me in the direction of one of these audio switches?

Thank you so much for your help, Berny
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us