HDMI Surround Sound woes

Username: Jcav86

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Sony 900W reciever with 5.1 setup. I have my PS3 plugged into the HDMI input slot, and one heading into my tv. I get picture no problem but I do not get any surround sound. The only sound I am receiving is coming from the tv itself. I am also having this problem with my xbox 360, however, it is hooked up through component cables, but I get no sound at all. My TV is a Panasonic TH-42PX60U. I am stumped, surround sound works with the radio only as of right now, and I have the cables plugged in correctly. Any help would be appreciated, and any additional information you may need I will gladly post.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 65
did you change the settings on the ps3 for HDMI audio? its under the sytem setting part of the menu. you say you have the 360 connected with component so what do you have your audio plugged in with?

Post Number: 2
my ps3 came with the HDMI setting on, it is supposed to auto detect it for audio. Still not coming through my 5.1 speakers. I get video and sound through the TV itself.

I may be mistaken... but isn't the HD components, Green, Blue and Red? I have those hooked up into the reciever... and I have another Green, Blue, Red cord going from the reciever into my tv. Unless I am blatantly missing something Im not sure what I am doing wrong here. I get video but no sound at all.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW Missouri

Post Number: 2284
Wait where's the sound connected? I only know of those cables being useful for video? Shouldn't you have audio cables running into the receiver as well?? On the PS3, did you make sure all the settings are correct on the receiver and PS3 both?

Post Number: 3
I may have missed the white and red sound cords on the xbox 360, which is a really dumb mistake by me...

as for the ps3, I am not exactly sure which settings need to be set (or where to set them) on the reciever, but the hdmi setting on the ps3 are set to auto-detect. I bought the receiver out of box from Best Buy, so I do not have the instruction manual to look at.

Post Number: 4
okay xbox is up and running properly but I still need help with my ps3 issues.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 70
have you plugged in audio for the ps3 yet are you using green, red, and blue, or our you using the HDMI cord. if you are using the HDMI cord then you have to select the which input on the reciever you want to play the HDMI signal it dosent do it automatically.

Post Number: 5
I am using the HDMI cord. Now, the input it is set to happens to be "DVD" on my reciever. When I switch the reciever to "DVD" I get picture on my tv from my Ps3 sound from my tv, no sound from my 5.1 speakers. Now you are saying I need to tell it to play the hdmi signal, how do I do that? I thought that by setting it to "DVD" it would play through that without a problem.

Post Number: 6
Also, the model # of my reciever is STR-K7000 its a Sony 900w reciever w/ 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 71
i would call sony since they make both the reciever and the PS3. from what you are telling me i dont know what the problem is. sorry i cant help you out. but call sony i have a couple of times about my PS3 they can help

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1489
­
Joe, that receiver's 2 in 1 out HDMI connections are what Sony calls "Pass-through." This means that the receiver is not set up to recognize any digital audio signal coming in on the HDMI cable---the receiver simply passes any digital signal through its HDMI output unchanged and unprocessed in any way. The receiver's HDMI ins/out is for convenience switching only.

You need to feed audio into the receiver by other means. Coax, optical or analog, whatever is available on the signal generating device should be used in addition to HDMI.
­

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 217
If it is not too late, I would take the receiver back and just say it does not work.

The new HD audio standards and 1.3 HDMI connections are coming out soon and without 1.3, you will not be able to play them.

I would wait if you can take it back and buy the latest greatest. HD audio will not be possible without 1.3 HDMI and its accompaning HDCP protocol.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1491
­
There's just one little problem here Westcott. This receiver is part of an HTIB of moderate price.

Do you think that, even if Joe buys an HD player in the near future, he is going to care about or even have the equipment to appreciate Dolby Digital Plus, not to mention Dolby TrueHD?

Personally, I'll bet that in time these HD audio codecs will be limited to just a few discs (especially Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). Kind of like DD-EX and DTS-ES 6/7.1 on regular DVDs.
­

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 218
John,

Maybe not. But maybe I have given him something to think about by mentioning it. I sometimes forget who I am talking to, but I still want the best for them.

Maybe I am too optomistic about someone coming to our rescue and providing a HD audio format that will actually spurn content providers to make it happen. It seems that content protection has always gotten in the way in the past but if Dolby gets involved and HDMI becomes the standard, I am hoping it could really happen.

I hope you are wrong but if the studios track record is any reference, you are probably right.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 72
HDMI 1.3 is not the only way to pass HD audio. you can use the analog and plug in each channel and that also will pass uncompressed audio

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1494
­
Westcott, don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing to help make consumers aware of the possibilities in front of them. But you'll have to pardon a certain pessimism on my part regarding the general public's desire for quality audio. Look what is happening to SACD and DVD-A. Today I heard that Apple has sold their 100 millionth iPod.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Apple_Sells_100_Millionth_iPod/1176130600

I don't know whether you own a blue laser player of either format---I don't---but I have looked at the discs. So far, very few have DD or DTS HD audio tracks on them. And not even all of them had DD+ either.

You're right Josh, but the problem is that not all players are going to support HD audio. I know that one of the Toshiba HD-DVD players does not. And neither does the new Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blu-ray at $1500 list no less!
­

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 219
Josh,

You may be able to pass HD audio via analog now but just like video, if the studios have their way, HDCP will be implemented on ALL HD digital information. In fact, HDMI is part of the TrueHD Dolby spec.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1498
­
I could be wrong about this, but I think PCM has to be an option on the disc. Once again I saw few discs of either format that listed PCM as an option, although there were a couple.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 73
well the point is that there are no HDMI 1.3 recievers out yet maybe that is why the HD sound has not taken off yet it still is a very new technology as far as consumer goods go. i think i have 1 blu-ray out of 14 that has DTS master audio and that is four brothers. i have not come accross one yet that did not have DD and i would say more than half have uncompressed PCM. i just wish when the 1.3 HDMI recievers come out that i can get a card or and upgrade through the internet for my Onkyo 804 kind of mad that i kind of wasted 700 dollars but i do like the reciever and the THX select 2 is very very good. but i guess i will settle for the anolog high-def sound instead of digital. does anyone know what the difference will be between the analog or digital with this HD sound

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 74
wescott i am sorry but i dont understand what you mean by your last statement. can you explain a little more

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 220
Content providers have always been concerned about releasing digital copies of audio and video. CSS currently limits most CDs to 24bit\48kHz even though most receivers can do 24\96kHz. The same will probably hold true for the new HD audio formats from Dolby and DTS. High bandwidth digital content protection (HDCP) is now a standard for digital video via some DVI and most HDMI components released today. These HD audio formats will also be required to be HDCP compliant and will eventually be limited to HDMI connections, just like video will be, once the analog hole is closed.

Have you wondered why there are no good titles via BlueRay and HD DVD? The primary reason is that there are still a lot of components\displays that are not HDCP compliant and using analog component outputs. The same restrictions will be part of the HDMI 1.3 spec and the new HD audio specs.

It is all about content protection of these hirez formats.

We will no longer be able to run our audio separate from our video, as we are accustomed to doing today without HDMI.

I hope I answered your question.

Username: Apollo007

Post Number: 6
Joe, you need Optical Toslink cable from PS3 to reciever.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901 &p_id=2763&seq=1&format=2&style=
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us