7.1 speaker system

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 62
is anyone familiar Axiom home theater speakers, i found a 7.1 set that i liked and i was wondering if anyone has heard them. i wanted to upgrade and let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions here is the link

http://www.axiomaudio.com/wizardv2_results_disp.php?A1and2=D&A4=S&A3=F&A5=M&A6=4 &A7=C&A8=-17

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 63
sorry that link didnt work

Channel Speakers Price
CENTERS VP100 $255.00 USD
FRONTS M50 $780.00 USD
REARS QS4 $428.00 USD
SURROUNDS QS4 $428.00 USD
SUBS EP175 $560.00 USD

Total System Cost: $2,451.00 USD
5% Home Theater Discount: $122.55 USD
Subtotal After Discount $2,328.45 USD

Select your Finish:
Black Oak Boston Cherry Mansfield Beech (Light Gold Grille) Mansfield Beech (Black Grille) Light Maple (Warm Tan Grille) Light Maple (Black Grille)

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13705
Excellent speakers! What will you be using to drive them?

I had the M50s for awhile before I changed them to M80s. They were being driven by NAD 773. Some claim they were a bit on the bright said...I didn't think so. I did not like the subs. A little on the boomy side...currently using HSU.

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 29
when I did my research I came very close to buying oxiom, but some reveiws said they were a little on the bright side, and I was up grading to get away from that, and I thaught the speaker placement in the cabnets, and the surround speaker design was not right for my room, I went with the warfedales and Im very happy I know a lot of people in here use oxioms, so that right there tells me they must be considered in your research, I was looking at the, M22v2, and the QS

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 69
Berny i will be using my Onkyo sr-804 to power the subs i dont have a pre-amp just the reciever will this effect the sound to be to bright. how much were the warfedales do you have a website.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 75
what do you mean when you say that the sound is bright

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13729
Bright meaning too shrill on the higher frequencies. I don't believe this is the case...but some claim that it is.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 76
so do you think these speakers will work good with the Onkyo?? and which HSU do you have, why do you like better than the ep175

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 77
how do def-tech and axiom compare?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13730
Both great. None better than the other...just different, your choice, your ears, your money. I've had Definitives before and ended up selling them, wasn't my cup of tea...but I kept the bookshelves, those I liked.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13731
I am not a big Onkyo fan. I think their receivers are weak and run out of juice really quickly...I don't believe it will do your speakers justice.

I am using VTF-2 with the Axioms and NAD. I think they are a great combination...but no longer my prime choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I read massive amounts of reviews on recievers and speakers, and much of what every body uses in hear, if I recall bright recievers would be like onkyo, integra, denon, yamaha, I got my warfedales at wild west electronic, talk to doug, go to bragging area look under, on going project, to see my set up, I looked at every speaker out there from klipch and polk to monsters and krell of course these two were out of my price range, for 10 years I listened to a system that hurt my ears, I gess as berny says shill, me and my freind built the same system at the same time, he dosn`t have a problem with his, but then again he loves driving people out of his house, while they stand in his front yard screeming, wow thats a killer system you have!!!.. I now have a system that I can listen to and cant waite to get home, Im playing all the cds I was tired of, Im hearing sound I never knew were there, and listening to sound in a better way. I wish there was a ware house with lots of rooms, each room had a speaker setup, and each room had every receiver.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 82
yea that would be cool then you could lisen to everything, i think i am going to go with the vp100 for center, m50 for fronts, qs4 for the 4 surrounds, and VTF-2 sub. i was doing research on this sub and numbers wise its better than the ep175 with alot more power and $160 cheaper. i really hope i like everything since it is going to cost alot of money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
josh, please if your going to spend that kind of money, money I dont have, please use some of my findings, first look at pinnacle black diamond series, look at monsters, these two are unreal, and look at mission, I can dig up more if you want and I can tell you why I think there wearthy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
ok I did have the money but it had to be spread out, projector, receiver, and speakers, but if I had just the speakers, but then again I might have made the same choice, and Im not saying it should change what your doing, Im just saying that you should exaust all posibilities, if I counted all the time I was set on what I was going to do.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 89
i think i kind of jumped the gun and need to put off the speaker purchase for a little while i was suppose to go to iraq today but last night i was riding gokarts and crashed and broke my collor bone so now i am not going and that would have been some extra money. sorry if you guys feel i wasted your time but i deffenitly took heed to everything your guys said, the onkyo center and four surrounds and the becker fronts with the onkyo sub will have to do for now. i mean i think my HT sounds great and i do live in an apartment so not a big living room. thanks for all your help

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1469
Pinnacle black diamonds are stunning speakers. They are no longer at my dealer anymore and that makes me sad cause I loved going in and listening to them. Personally I think Def Tech sucks. I agree that with a quality speaker setup, that it sounds like you plan on buying, you need a rec with some muscle. Look into NAD like Berny said or integra or outlaw. I also would look into a different sub than what Axiom or even hsu offers.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 92
my reciever has 110 wats per channel how much more power do i need?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13790
Looks good on paper but hardly realistic. You need a good receiver with good power supplies. Wattage claims are just that...claims.
Compare your Onkyo with a similarly price Marantz or HK. You will notice that they do not have bloated wattage claims, but they can deliver.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 94
so now that the 1.3 HDMI reciever are coming out. do you really think it is worth going out and spending hundreds of dollars on these new recievers? i just got my onkyo 804 and i really dont want to buy a new reciever if it is not a 100% necisary. what do you guys think

Bronze Member

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 50
I dont think it necisary, I dont give a crap about the new HDMI at this piont, your receiver is fine for now, go for the speakers you really want,

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13800
I am not a big fan of HDMI myself, so my view is biased. It is difficult when the standards are not set.

Like Angelo stated, get the finest speakers you like.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 176
One persons perception of brightness is another's definition of clarity and detail.

While one might strive for warmth, another might consider the same dull and boring.

Basing your purchase decision on a speaker you've never heard because somebody else claimed warmth or brightness....... that's ridiculous.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13804
^^^ Exactly!

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 96
have you guy had the chance to hear Jamo speakers? Man let me tell you i heard the C605(i think thats what they were) and they sounded unbelievable they had a little set up at the store i went to (home theater by DAS) and the guy was showing me how much better they sound than the def techs in the same price range but the Jamo were actually a couple hundred dollars cheaper. i was really inpressed

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13811
That should really be the determining factor. Do you remember what receivers were driving the Jamo?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Im doing more researching on speakers now, then before I bought my wharfedales, I can`t beleive how many speakers that are out there, some are crap or over priced, I still think I made the right choice, Im looking at jamos right now, they look nice but I will get back to you on that, Rush, you are right it is ridiculous, for me I have sensitive ears, I had my ears tested years ago because I suffer from chronic ear problems, the doctor was amazed that my hearing was well above average, so an H/K and soft dome tweets are perfect for me, and I cant see why they wouldent be fine for anyone, or maybe Im rong, I do notice my system is a touch tamer on the staticky highs, but my system now can still bother my ears at times even at low levels, I gess it depends on my mood

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 97
Berny they had a HK stereo reciever running them it wasnt a DD reciever or anything like that so i am sure they would sound even better with a home theater reciever than a stereo right?

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 98
angelo let me know what you find out about the Jamo. if you dont mind. like i said i was really immpressed and if anyone gets a chance to listen to them i feel you guys will say the same thing. the one i lisented to was there baseline model the best one goes for 18,000 a speaker i couldnt imagine spending that much on a speaker it better make me dinner to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
josh, what jamos were you listining to?

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 99
i said on an earlyier post: i heard the C605(i think thats what they were)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
sorry Josh some times I over look things, Josh, Im looking for something like this, http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1105whafedales/ this is one of the things that sold me on the wharedales, when I look at speakers I look at materials and construction more than how they sound, its a unbalanced way im sure, but I have an understanding to how thing work, the closest jamo dealer is 120 miles away from me. Westcott has a cool post on psychoacoustics, basicly a person might choose Polk over Krells because thats the way there used to speakers sounding, but if they listened to both, over time, as Westcott said, proper sound may be an acquired taste and should be given a chance to be learned. I gess its like woman, im attracted to sluttty and stupid, but the stupid part wears thin after a while, thats why I choose quality build above all, and that go`s for speakers too

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1470
I have a Jamo sub and it's a monster. At $700 (pretty much stole it) it's the best under $1k sub I have ever heard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
great it didnt work drop down to loud speakers, then book shelf, then find wharfedales, basiclly I want to know what the drivers and tweeters are on the jamos and the cabnet construction, and give me a price, and find the ones you want

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I think the subs look good

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1471
this is my baby

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
very nice, whats the specs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
I like these jamo c803 book shelf speakers, a bit pricey thou, lets see if I can get these web pages up http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/jamo-c803-bookshelf-speake r-review

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
wow it worked, ok heres more. http:/www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=836985 I like this cute little, E700 system. http://www.hometheatermag.com/subsatloudspeaker/605jamo/ ok it wont go direct there so look around for it, I have not read everything, I think there very nice, if i was going to get jamos I think I would look around for good deals, the only problem you might have is hook up or some weard thing, because there Danish speakers, the tweeters, drivers, and cabnets as much as I have read look quality, but the c803 at $799/pair I would think my, wharfedale diamond 9.2s at $ 449.95/pair, would give them a run, but I think the c803s look like there worth every penny and more

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1472
400 watts rms
2 8" high excursion subs
sealed enclosure
I have a test dvd and it pounds down to the low 20's
also has a boundry gain circuit that decreases the lowest frequesncies to have a more balanced output when placed near a wall
and it's built like a tank

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
wow thats what I like to hear, but how dos it sound on loud explosions? and I take that they fire down, from looking at the legs

Gold Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1473
This sub is very quality. It is sealed so you do not get as boomy (which is inaccurate anyway) explosions as you may be used to with ported subs. But don't let that fool you, it's got monster power and I went from a polk 12" 300watt to this and doubled my output.

Username: Bobevans

Post Number: 5
Very Nice Site for Speaker Shelving especially for small places. Free Shipping Also.
http://www.sleekspace.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
I think the pinch bar stool needs a seat belt

Silver Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 101
hey if i set up my PS3 for PCM output and watch a blu-ray and select the uncompressed PCM audio instead of DD will my reciever output this uncompressed audio when the reciever says PCM on it or is it a downgraded version of an analog signal

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
I have know idea, but I want to know, dos your PS3 get hot, or any weard things, are you happy with it

Silver Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 103
yea i love the PS3 its potenial is unreal and i cant wait for them to start making some good games for it that really use the power of the "cell" processer. i have no over heat problems it does get hot but not nearly has hot as my reciever, and it froze on me maybe 2 or 3 times nothing serious. but i love it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
josh are you still doing research on speakers?

Silver Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 104
yea here and their
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us