Why bigger front speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 63
If you have a decent sub and your crossover set correctly, your front speakers need be no bigger than your surrounds yet just about every one has bigger fronts?

I know mine are bigger because I had them first, before I started put my system together.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13667
Yes...and???

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW Missouri

Post Number: 2249
It's a conspiracy.

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 24
I think they should be about the same size, but what I have noticed over the years is that most of the hard core sound comes out the center channel, so maybe a top quality center is where its at as long as everything else matches and as long as you are look for seround sound. when I get a new center I am getting the best one in the diamond series.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
And front speakers are the only ones that have the tower design right? to produce richer sound with a bigger cabnet? so maybe sometimes it may appear bigger than what it is. thats what she said

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13674
However, there are no rules that says you cannot use towers for the rear/surround.

I don't know about richer sounds, though. Some of the better speakers I have heard are bookshelf type.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 348
In a pure sense 5 or 7 identical speakers would be the way to go. Five Paradigm Studio 20 around would sound nice, if you don't mind your center standing upright.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1466
­
In the very early days of Dolby Surround---sometime in the mid-to-late eighties---people started adding a couple of rear speakers. Since the matrixed analog rear signal was of a fairly narrow frequency spectrum, wide range low distortion/high dynamics speakers just weren't needed for the rear effects then. The front speakers remained the primary signal producers.

Even later, when Dolby Pro Logic required a center speaker, people a) didn't have any idea how important the center channel would become, and b) still had that stereo speaker mentality. After all, that's how one listened to music wasn't it?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
thats interesting, a center standing upright, I wonder who thought of putting it horizontal, I mean I like it that way it has it`s benefits like placing it under or above the picture, and keeping close speaker alignment to fronts, but I gess it wouldn`t have to be horizontal.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 166
It's all personal preference, and nothing more. I have towers for surrounds, and I even know a guy who uses 7 Identical towers in his 7.1 theater. (the center channel tower is behind the screen)

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 211
To produce the lower frequencies, you need a bigger box. I know a lot of people that use towers all the way around. I do not know of a full range speaker that is not a tower. Since 90% of the music information comes from the front channels, investing in towers up front is a logical solution. Also, base frequencies below 80Hz are omnidirectional so it does not matter where the bass is coming from, as long as some of the speakers in the room are able to produce them when not using a sub. Frequencies above 80Hz still are a struggle for smaller speakers and are directional so towers are an accepted solution.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us