Question about HDMI

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 95
I wanted to know if connecting with HDMI will give me better sound than connecting with HDMI.
I know HDMI supports better sound formats like Dolby Digital True HD, DTS HD, ect, but I was wondering if I should connect my reciever to my playstation 3 using HDMI. I have a Denon 2807 wich is a 7.1 reciever, but I only have 3 surround speakers not 4. The reciever does have HDMI and I do have an HDMI cable right now.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2213
Well no using HDMI of the same version over HDMI of the same version will not sound any better all other factors the same.

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 96
Oh, my bad. what I meant to say in the first sentece is, Does connecting to HDMI give me better sound than connecting with OPTICLE

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 346
That is a good question, which would be better HDMI or Optical. The differnce would not be great but the convience of running one cable is.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 51
i use HDMI for my PS3 if you have it use it

Username: Installations4u

Manlius, NY US

Post Number: 1
HDMI transmits S/PDIF digital audio signals over copper in the form of 1s and 0s. You can use the skimpy cable built into your HDMI cable to transmit your digital audio signals, or you can use a separate (dedicated) S/PDIF digital audio cable, preferably made of 75-ohm coax. Optical audio accomplishes the same thing except it uses flashes of light to communicate the 1s and 0s, but has the added benefit of not being susceptible to RF or electro-magnetic interference. About 65 feet is the limit of optical audio, but S/PDIF will run twice as far reliably. As far as sound quality goes, you will not hear a difference unless your cables are poorly made or you have a lot of interference (which doesn't effect the optical). Poorly made copper digital audio cables tend to have gaps in the shielding which increases the possibility of interference.

Username: Wavfile

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 1
scott-
so hdmi is the same as optical (s/pidf)? Is there actually any difference or is the difference in the cable itself only?
thanx

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1467
­
Kaysee, as far as the normal Dolby Digital and DTS digital bitstreams found on DVDs are concerned, there is no difference between the interconnect performances of S/PDIF (coax) or TOSLink (optical) or HDMI. HDMI does have the potential of carrying much higher bitrates from media such as the new hi-def blue laser disc formats. See:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/2206/basic-cable-choosing-the-right-ca bles-for-your-system.html
­

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 57
John is correct HDMI carries a better signal than obtical. HDMI carries High-def video and High-def sound, optical cant. use the HDMI if you have one, i have never heard of anyone having interferince problems on their HDMI cable.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 167
I agree with scott

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1470
"John is correct HDMI carries a better signal than obtical."

To clarify, I am saying HDMI may have a better audio signal, but that depends on what's generating that signal. If you are using the HDMI output on a DVD player, the audio is no better than the coax or optical output on that player. The new Blu-ray and HD DVD players can output higher resolution audio codecs provided
a) that player supports those codecs and
b) the higher resolution audio is actually on the disc itself.

It is by no means a given that all blue laser players of either format will support the hi-res audio codecs (such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master Audio), nor is it clear at this point whether the discs themselves will support those codecs.
­

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 58
but HD movies such as blu-ray or HD-DVD have a higher bitrate for DD and DTS even if the movie is not in Dolby Digital plus or any of the other High-def formats DD and DTS on HD movies is better than DVD formats. as far as the PS3 goes which was the original question, when you use HDMI instead of optical than you get the option of uncompressed audio and 7.1 output. so in this situation HDMI is better than Optical or coax.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 59
you have to remember that PS3 is a Blu-ray player and the games are also on blu-ray format so to get the best out of what you have I feel that HDMI is the better choice

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 133
Hi guys,

I have my PS3 hooked up to my marantz sr4001 avr with HDMI. If anything, it has been a bumpy ride. I am still trying to figure out what settings to use to get surround sound that works. As it stands now, I can either have working stereo, or 5.1 with a weird, bell sounding noise. And, when I tried to use bitstream output from the PS3, all sound stopped. In any event, I have two questions. First, what settings should I use to get real surround sound, and second, is bitstream any better than pcm, and if so, why?

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1477
­
Yes Josh, the original question was

quote:

I know HDMI supports better sound formats like Dolby Digital True HD, DTS HD, ect, but I was wondering if I should connect my reciever to my playstation 3 using HDMI.

Blu-ray discs promise to output DD/DTS at their maximum allowable bitrates, 640kbps (DD) and 768kbps (DTS). This is higher than is the bitstream on DVDs, which is typically 384 or 448kbps. My point is that even 768kbps is well within the bandwidth capability of both TOSLink and S/PDIF. So I say again, there will be no audible difference between HDMI, coax and optical when listening to a standard DD/DTS track on DVD or BD.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1478
­
Stefan, I have no idea what your problem is. "Bitstream" should work, at least for the normal DD/DTS signal. As usual Sony's instructions are clear as mud.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/bdsettings.html# 615

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 60
Stefan i will let you know how i have mine set up and i hope that will help you. I have the PS3 set up with HDMI audio output set at Bitstream, then i went down to audio set up and selected HDMI manual setup and unchecked everything but DD, DTS, AAC, and all the 2ch. PCM settings. but all the 5.1 and 7.1 PCM settings i have unchecked if this does not work out for you then you might have to mess around with the reciever i had to with mine. i hope that helps you out. John: i see what you are saying now i thought that since you got more options with HDMI for audio settings that it could transport more signals.

Username: Wavfile

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 6
This is great information guys- thanx for taking the time.... I work in audio, but in a bit of a differnt realm, so this really helps. Thanx SO much for takin the time
WavFile
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us