Sub and receiver help...

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2107
I am setting up a home system in my room...not really a theater, just soemthing to play music real loud inside...

I am noob in the home theater section so i need some help..

Im looking for a receiver that will power my 2 sanyo ss900s 8 ohms(2 tweets and 1 15" sub in each enclosure) which say 120w on the back... i know these speakers arent of real high quality but i know my bro had them hooked up and tehy shook the house pretty good..

Can someone show me a reciever?....I either want to power these 2 with a sub, or these 2 without a sub, because i dont think the 2 15s in these hit that hard...not sure though, cause i havent gotten to crank them yet with any power....and can someone also show me a sub that would get the job done....im used to around 144 - 145db on music in my car....so im loking for something that will get loud...

budget is pretty small....i dont know prices on home audio so i cant give a specific budget...something cheaper that will get the job done....like a cheaper pioneeer reciever would work...

thanks....

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13587
If you have no specific budget, start by looking at the Pioneer VSX1016.

I doubt it will get as loud as your car but it will do...just remember, home audio is a totally different animal.

"im used to around 144 - 145db on music in my car" good luck with your hearing.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13588
If you want just loud, look into getting a cheaper receiver and use professional power amps like Behringer or Crown.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 498
anything over 130 dB will cause hearing loss of some form.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13595
Car audio guys love to exaggerate. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

CA USA

Post Number: 456
Right, so just look for the car shaking itself to bits. Who cares about sound QUALITY, we just want QUANTITY. Sigh.

Gold Member

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2113
well ive done 147.4 on a splmeter from splmeter.com which is when tested by marshall white it was 0 - .4 away compared to the Termlab.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2185
Cars are smaller = high gain, it's like you're in the speaker.

Haha just get an amp and burp them to see if they blow (There's a 5000w Pro Amp for $800).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13641
Forget everything you know about car audio when it comes to home audio.

Or apply what you think you know about car audio into home audio and find out for yourself. Experience is a great educator.

Gold Member

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2124
ya ill go with just forgeting everything when it comes to home audio, i know its whole different thing.

i was just giving a reference of how loud i listen to music in my car, i know i wont come anywhere close to 145db with the bass in my home, but i know 145db can really suprise people cause its so loud, and thats what im looking for in my home system...

does that help at all?>

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 5208
If you get 145db's in your house I hope you have insurance. To me "Loud" is an immature statement, and has nothing to do with HT. Clarity and definition are what HT is all about.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13653
Do you have a budget?

Username: Nirajyadav

Hisar, Haryana India

Post Number: 1
hi to all. i m very new to this fourm. i have big problem related to my 5.1 speakers. the problem is that when ever i try to connect the input to subwoofer a sound starts coming from all the speakers. a sound of "hissss" comes continuously. when i remove all the inputs from woofer, the sound stops. after that even on touching the pin to input the sound starts again.

so. pls guys help me out of the problem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us