Echo dampning

Username: Bigred17910

MiddleofnowhereGermany

Post Number: 1
Hi all, new to the site. I'm stationed in Germany, renting a home and I'm turning one of the basement rooms into an HT. 14' x 17' x 7 1/2' ceiling. Flooring is ceramic tile and all other walls and ceiling is stone block. Essentially a concrete box. Got a couch, love seat and of course two recliners as furniture. Not wanting to carpet the walls. Considering using foam. Looking for any advice/opinions seeings how this is my first HT set up. Again I'm renting the house so I can't make any permanent changes. Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13556
Try looking for acoustic panels or make your own.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/04/how-to-theater-or-studio-acoustic-treatments/

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1447
­
Buy yourself a roll of thick lime green shag rug and cover that tile.

Then put Austin Powers on.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 161
You'll want to google room acoustics and room treatments.

A concrete room is the worst possible place for a theater, but with proper use of broadband absorption, you'll have a sweet sounding room.

This is one of many sellers who build cost effective room treatments. I'll post a link of the treatments I bought to better show you what they look like. Keep in mind, there are many companies who make these, so do your homework and find the ones you like best.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/index.html

In a room like yours, I'd recommend floor-to-ceiling bass traps in 4 corners, and 4" thick panels at first reflection points on each of the four walls.

If you do something like that, your room will sound night & day different, and your sound will be greatly improved for the better.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 162
PS.....

Carpeting the walls will do virtually nothing as far as broadband absorption goes.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 187
Dow Corning Rigid Fiberglass panels are a favorite do it yourself solution. Stack them together for a minimum two inch thickness.

If you are going to cover the walls, alternate panel placment or thickness along the walls. Complete absorbtion is not as good as alternating absorbtion with diffusion. A net search will explain the reasons better than I. If you still have questions, let us know.

Username: Bigred17910

MiddleofnowhereGermany

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies. The links were very helpful. Amazing the different info available when you google room treatments/acoustics than just googling home theater. Am looking at dropping a decently thick carpet padding with a thick carpeting of some kind. Being the basement I'll probably have to add a dehumidifier, don't ya'll think?

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 193
I suggest a good masonry waterproof sealer on the floor and walls. I would also suggest a waterproof membrane on the floor before the padding and carpet go down. Quality padding is a good idea but do not go too crazy on the carpeting. It takes a REALLY thick carpet (like a 4" shag) to make a considerable difference on floor acoustics. I floated and acoustically isolated my floor but it is very expensive and a LOT of work. If you can treat the rest of the walls and add bass traps, then I would forgo the effort to do as I have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us