Newbie Needs help!

Username: Cat3347

Post Number: 1
I've enjoyed reading all the great info you guys have to offer. I've been lurking, but finally have a problem of my own.

Im having problems getting my TV to "output" sound to my surround sound. My equipment is:

Pioneer 42" Plasma
BOSE 321 home theater
Comcast/Scientific Atlanta HD/DVR cable box.

Set up is:

HDMI connection from the cable box to the TV.
Optical Sound, Digital Coax video from the TV to home theater (no HDMI inputs on the Bose).

Everything works fine, but when Im watching TV, and want to hear it through the Bose system, I get nothing. All it says is "PCM 2.0". No sound whatsoever. BTW...I have all settings set to "auto" on the TV and the BOSE. Any advice?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1431
­
Your TV does not output the incoming audio on the HDMI cable on its digital outputs. The only time those outputs have a signal is when you are actually using the TV's tuner to pick up an OTA digital A/V signal.

You need to feed the Bose system with audio directly from the cable box instead of the TV.
­

Post Number: 2
So, disconnect the coax from the TV, and connect it to the cable box "audio out"? Can I expect a "delay" in the picture vs. sound?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1434
­
Yes, use the cable box's coax audio out to feed the Bose system. Yes, the audio could preceed the video. That's why many receivers have selectable digital audio delay settings. But let's not create a problem prematurely. Try it first.

Your only alternative is the R/L analog outputs on the plasma.

Post Number: 3
Works great! However, if I want to hear Dolby Digital...I have to switch the cable box output from "HDMI" to "Dolby Digital". If I don't I just hear it via "PCM 2.0".

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1436
­
Hmmmm....Solve one problem and then get another. But maybe not---when you switch to "DD" do you still get the picture via HDMI on the TV? I suppose you do otherwise you'd have mentioned it. What happens to the audio with the box on DD and you're tuned into a non-premium standard channel without DD?
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1437
­
In other words why not leave the box set to "DD" all the time?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us