Help with setting up new home theater system

Username: Emmac

Post Number: 1
Just purchased a new flat screen HDMI TV, Yamahaa 5960 Receiver (plus Infinity speakers) and a DVD player. Have a Brighthouse digital cable box. For cables I have a HDMI cable, S-Video cable, Fiber optics audio cable, green-blue-red component cable, plus a host of other red-white-yellow cables. Questions:

1. How do I get optimal home theater sound?
2. DVD sound comes with receive on TV/CBL. Obviously this isn't right. How do I correct?
3. Starting with the TV what is the right sequence for hooking up all this stuff?

Need help. Please advise.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13466
Start here.

http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1890
I'm sure I can help.

I'll start with the order I think I should answer in.

2. When your remote is set on "Amp" push the menu button. If nothing has changed you should have the option for a basic and manual setup (maybe auto). Use manual. Go to the Input Menu, then the I/O Assign, then (if your Fiber Optics cable is in between your DVD and Receiver) assign it to which digital input you have it on (1,2, 3, etc) on the back. That should take care of that.

3. The Setup...I love this.

For the TV, all you have to do is take the HDMI cable from DVD player (HDMI?) to TV, then run the component cable from cable box to TV. After that, you run the Fiber Optics cable from the DVD Player to the Receiver input reading DVD (make sure you have that set right). A stereo audio RCA cable should then run from cable box to Receiver on the input reading DTV/CABLE. Also make sure you hook all the speakers up to the correct terminals and + to + and - to - .

Now you have to make sure and set up all your equipment correctly. Make sure in your TV menu you have the correct inputs selected, sound off, picture calibrated, and all that good stuff.

On the receiver, you should have the correct inputs selected, dimmer level, all that stuff, now for optimizing the sound...

1. To optimize your sound, you start with putting all the speakerss in the right places:

Center: as close to the TV as possible, preferrably above or below.

L/R: You need to have these to both be as far from you as you are from them and they should to be as far apart from each other as they are from you.

Surround: These should go slightly above and behind your ears, remember this is just basic placement.

Surround Back: These should go around the same heighth, but more behind you.

Those are just basic positions. From there, just play it with the receiver the way it is before (unless you already have) you do YPAO. Play a movie with surround sound and then adjust the direction the speakers are pointing, where they are, and listen for the surrounds finding what your preferences are (full, can't tell where it is, or pointed so that you can pinpoint where it is, again, preference.

On the fronts, you should, again, position them around until it sounds correct, where voices come from the TV, it sounds balanced around the speakers and full, fills up the room.

On the Sub, more on that later.

Now you can run the YPAO (again if you already have). It should yield optimal results from the system.

Here are some links if you need a guide other than what I've said.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/subwoofer-placement-g uidelines

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/home-theater-speaker-placement.html

You can also use the links.

If you need more help...tell me. Others can elaborate on this if you deem necessary.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us