Onkyo HT-S780 digital input button

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 31
Hi all - Alot of DVD's I watch seem to play in PCM mode. Is this an analog mode or signal? I have played with the Digital Input button per the user manual, but I don't seem to totally grasp it. If on Vid 3 for instance (this is what my DVD is connected to via digital coax), I depress digital input. After a few seconds I get a (AUTO) COAX displayed. I can then depress button again and OPT1 will show. What is OPT1, OPT2, OPT3? Manual does not explain. Also, why are the bulk of the DVD's playing in PCM mode? I have HD from satellite and that signals displays DOLBY DIGITAL and sounds great. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 34
you have ot set the reciever to recieve a digital signal and you might have to change a setting or two on the DVD player to kick out a digital signal. pcm is a analog signal and is not dolby digital or DTS. OPT1, 2 and 3 is optical input 1, 2 and 3 which is another way to send a digital signal but you said you are using coax. another thing you might want to try and will sound stupid but when you watch a movie sometimes the default audio is not digital so when you go to watch a dvd make sure you go to setup on the dvd and set it to dolby digital or DTS if it is an option cause DTS is alot better. let me know how it goes. but if i had to guess since i have an onkyo 804 my self and had a onkyo hometheater in a box before you have to tell the reciever that it is recieving a digital signal and what input it is in

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 33
Josh - Appreciate the input. I do have Digital Coax attached. On my Satellite I use optical. The only time I get digital input (set to autodetect on receiver) from the Satellite is when I am watching Hi-Def channels..otherwise it comes in PCM. I will check the DVD setup itself. I always do check the movie Audio settings at startup and set to surround or whatever is available. Still when I check the input display on Receiver shows as PCM (for movies). I will see if DVD has optical out...maybe that is the key...or perhaps I have a bad cable that is wrong OHM or something.

Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 37
the dvd player should have optical ouput, most due. on the reciever if you have optical and coax pluged in they have to be on different inputs otherwise it will only detect one not the other. i think

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 34
Interesting. I thought that since one is optical and the other Digital Coax that they are automatically different inputs. Unfortunatly the manual is not as detailed as I would like here. I think I will just buy another optical for DVD and try it out. Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 35
Figured it out. I had my DVD Digital output as PCM instead of Bitstream. Now it sees Dolby Digital automatically. Oh..by the way. I looked at a number of DVD players and none had optical audio output. Granted they were not high end players, but nonetheless, they all had either AV or Digital Coax output for audio.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 38
well glad you got it working nothing is better than true digital sound, except for HD sound

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 36
Dang Josh...Now you did it...What in the heck is HD sound? I have heard of Dolby Digital Surround 5.1, DTS and THX. But what is HD. I thought HD was just the picture, not the audio. Cuz if there is something better out there I wanna know about it.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 39
for blu-ray and hd-dvd players you have DD plus, DD-true HD, and DTS HD master audio. They have higher bitrates up to 30mbps when DVDs usually have around 3mbps for DTS. i love the HD audio i use it all the time on my PS3

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 37
Sweet - Will my Onkyo HT-S780 be able to play this HD at that higher bitrate? Does it really sound that much different?

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 40
you have to have either HDMi or separate anolog connections for each channel. i think it sounds better by numbers it is 10 times the bitrate
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us