HDMI Question

Username: Dbadmin

Post Number: 3
Hi Gurus,

Does HDMI carry Video and Audio? In my receiver, I have 2 HDMI Inputs and one output. If I connect the outputs from my Dish HD Reciever and my HD DVD player to the receiver and the output to my Plasma TV, do I need to have a separate sound connection to the reciver from these sources (DVD Player and Dish)?

Thanks,
DBAdmin

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13421
Yes HDMI carries both.

And that is the premise of HDMI, simplicity in cabling. So you should be able to connect them without having to worry about separate audio connections.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 27
that is how i have my setup connected. i have my ps3 and hd-dvr goint to my reciever through separate hdmi and then one hdmi going to my plasma and it works perfectly

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 121
I have a similar setup with my PS3. There is one problem with it though. Normal cds, HDCDs, and PS3 game discs work fine, but my Elvis DVD-A disc doesn't work. There is some sound chopping in and out, but even when there is, it is really grainy and distorted. This is weird cause the other formats work fine. Please help.

Thanks,
Stefan

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1413
­
Stefan, thay would be big news: Sony makes something that supports DVD-A. DVD-A is a high resolution audio format that is a competitor to Sony's SACD. In fact, I believe the PS3 doesn't even support SACD either.

That Elvis DVD-A should have a DD 5.1 soundtrack (and maybe even DTS). The PS3 should at least recognize and output that track with no issues.
­

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1414
­
On second thought I think you have to go into the PS3 menu to program the DD track to play it.

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 124
The Elvis DVD-A has a DD soundtrack. The weird thing is that the PS3 recognizes it as a DVD-V. Also, the manual audio selection on the PS3 menu always has three things checked, DD, and linear PCM at two or three different frequencies. It is not possible to check only one option at a time. Is this important?, because I do have DD selected on the PS3 and the receiver and still the same results.

Thanks,
Stefan

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 29
try this stefan if you have not already change the audio settings in the system settings section, go to dvd/BD audio output for HDMI to bitstream not PCM Linear(default) and see if that changes your output. when you got to the manual setting for the audio you should have DD, DTS, AAC and 2 PCM 2ch. frequencies checked this is how i have mine setup and mine seems to be working good now that i changed everything i was having the same problem couldnt get the right output mine was kicking out a anolog sound when i was watching dvd or bd when i wanted a digital. let me know how that goes

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 172
Just be careful. Not all HDMI supports audio so check which version your equipment supports. I think it is 1.3 that is compliant.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us