Need help with a setup.

Username: Traisc

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I had a friend give me some EV 6.2 speakers, 5 of them. and an EV sub 12.1 I believe it is. Now i know these speakers are overkill for the reciever I have but the problem is this. In the manual it says that it is a passive sub. And it shows all the wires of the surrounds coming out of the reciever going into it then to the speakers. So basically 4 surrounds goin int he 2 spots on the back then coming out to the actual speakers. But on the back of the reciever it has an RCA jack specifically for the sub. I would have thought that the wires would have gone straight from the reciever to the speakers to get the actual channels going to the correct speakers. So my question is do i have to run it through the sub or can i just run direct to the speakers. If i can how do i hook the the sub since it shows speaker connectors and the sub connector on the reciever is an RCA jack. To better describe the sub it has 2 pos and 2 neg inputs and 2 pos 2 neg outs. From what the manual says it pulls the low frequencies from the speakers. I thought the reciever separates it and sends it to the proper channels. Please help. Thank you. Maybe on EV's website you can see an actual diagram that shows what the back looks like . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1867
I'm trying to pick out the details here. From what I read I've picked up this : You have a receiver to power 5 speakers and you also have a passive sub. You wonder if the speakers will take power directly from the receiver instead of through the subwoofer. You wonder how to hook the speakers through the sub without separation, and since the receiver has a sub out jack, you wonder how to hook the sub to that. :

First of all, you're going to have to get a separate amplifier for the sub if you want to use it for LFE. Since the speakers are 8-ohm, you can just hook them directly to the receiver. You'll just have to set them as 'small' at around 80hz on the receiver, then run the subwoofer output on the back of the receiver to an amplifier. Then you can get an amp and hook the sub to that.

It kinda depends on what you'd be willing to spend...if anything. I can tell you, you need either 350w on a one channel amp or a 175w x2 stereo amp. 100w x2 would probably work just fine as well.

Post Number: 2
Hmmm ok sounds pretty simple. Thanks Andre. Could you recommend a one channel amp. I do have one more question. I was looking at the amp for a theater setup and they were pretty high. I was wondering if it is possible to use a car audio amp since they seem to be SOOO much cheaper it seemed to power that one sub woofer. And what would you recommend.

Post Number: 3
Here is the link to the speakers I have the EViD 12.1 is the sub for the specs and all. and the 5 satellites are the EViD 6.2's. If all taht helps any. Sorry I would have added it to previous post but could find the edit post button.

http://www.electrovoice.com/productfamilies/21.html

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1882
I know of a lot of amps and Behringer makes some good amps that aren't that expensive. Their most powerful is 1300w 4-ohm bridged (your sub is 4-ohm) $500, then it's the model lower, which is still ~700w, and then their studio amp (which is quiet) supplying 160w x2 8-ohm giving the 12.1 all it can take. I'd recommend this amp unless you still can't spend $300.

That's alright I had already looked at the link.

If you can't afford this, then what is your budget?

Post Number: 4
Don't really have a budget so to speak but didnt really want to spend a few hundred. But then again one thought is I was given these great speakers so I guess I could spend the money to have a decent amp to power it. What is your impression of these speakers? I never heard of EV. Could you give me some more amps a lil cheaper to compare with? My next purchase would be a better reciever than what I have unless you would spend your money on a better reciever first. Im at work so all i can tell you its a Sony that decodes all digital signals. 1 year old. Thats it. But if you could answer the other questions first, I'll post later at home what the reciever is if it even matters for now.

Post Number: 5
Sony STR-K6800P is the reciever. I know its not the best for now. LOL

Post Number: 6
Oh, one more question. Is it worth it as far as buying the amp for it? Or would it be wiser to go ahead and purchase a sub with an amp? I know its a lot of questions in these 3 posts.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1885
The receiver will be fine, for now. The speakers seem grea tif you like loud music. Electro-Voice is actually a pro company, you might see their name on speakers in some churches, concerts, etc. It would be better to get your own amp since that sub really could do great if you just give it the power, outperforming subs that would cost the same as a new amp.

Wow, a cheaper amp...well, here you go. I must remind you I think those Behringers are great bang for the buck.

Well, I admit I tried to find that wattage (and performance) for cheaper...but couldn't, so I guess you'll have to search eBay: I did find a few amps, but a lot are only like $30 cheaper. I'd still go with the A500

I can guarantee that there are amps that can put out 8kw, but the one I know of is like $6k. I'm really trying to keep costs down.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Andre you have been really helpful with this and i appreciate your time. Ill keep in touch and let you know how all this goes. I did find those Behringer amps even cheaper at musiciansfriend.com So I'll probably end up order from there. Thanks alot. Ill let you know what I end up getting because I may need help setting it up properly. Laterz.

Gold Member

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1886
I've ordered a bunch of stuff (well, my dad; see age) from there including drums, mouthpieces, and other music stuff, and would definitely recommend it. Just come to this thread if you need help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us