$2,000 to play - help me build a system??

Username: Aceshigh

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I have been on here for a few years just lurking from time to time mostly in 2005 when I was researching for my own home theater system purchase. In 2005 I bought myself a Harmon Kardon AVR-635 and Klipsch Reference RF-35, RC-35, RS-35 and an RW-12 sub. I love my system in truth but it costed a huge chunk of change in comparison to this budget.

So this is for my buddy who is an Army Sergeant over in Afghanistan and he asked me to help him build as good of a system as we can for $2,000 , not I personally have read ALOT about SVS Subwoofers being the best out there, and was thinking it would be the best option for his subwoofer.

So please chime in on what you think would be a great combination in that pricerange. I'm sure if he needs to go a LITTLE over that budget he would, but lets try to keep it in that pricerange. No bookshelf speakers preferably. I think he wants to really see what he's buying standing tall like I did.

Thanks ahead of time guys. BTW, he has a 42inch plasma with HDMI so I'm sure that will be necessary.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1838
So you mean $2000 for the whole system..

My second choice would be SVS for that price range. First would be building an IB subwoofer for about $6-700 with a 1500w amp and 2 Fi 15" Q's being driven. Then I'd probably buy a Paradigm Center, surrounds, and mains for ~$600 I'd buy a Pioneer Elite HDMI out player for $300 and with what's left I'd get the $650 Pioneer Elite receiver. Now this is my personal choice on that budget.. opinions may differ. The subs would get to maybe 120-130dB around 20hz and maximum output would drop below that, but would be flat to ~10hz. The speakers would be able to keep up and the Dvd player and Receiver are no lie, I've seen and heard the Price/Performance ratio.

Username: Aceshigh

Post Number: 2
$2000 for

Receiver
Speakers
Subwoofer

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13354
For that budget I would recommend these:

Pioneer VSX-1016 $450
Athena Speakers
ASF-2.2 $400/pair for the front
ASC-1.2 $150 for the center
ASR-1.2 $240/pair for the rears
HSU sub VTF-2 $400

Nice wiggle room for other stuff like cabling, etc.

Username: Chovongai

Post Number: 1
Berny,
I'm newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

Can I use a 7.1 receiver having just 5 speakers like the system you suu

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13564
Yes, you can use a 7.1 receiver even with only 5.1 speaker system.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 2032
I think it also gives more power supply headroom so you have more power at hand, am I right?

Post Number: 2
My guess is that I should forget the two back surrounds speakers, right ?

And if so, will I miss the intended sound effects, or will the end results are insignificant ?
Thanks,
DT

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13565
Yes, you should forget the back surrounds and no you will not miss the intended sound effects. The end results are not significant.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 84
I generally agree with Berny on the back surround issue. However, the loss of information may or may not be considered significant depending on the material and listener. I would say the loss is most noticeable on high impact/action movies with a lot of special effects, much less so on drama or low effects material. I've done it both ways and my current configuration does not have the back surrounds. I can't honestly say that I really miss them.

Post Number: 3
Thanks everybody for your inputs!
DT
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us