5.1 Channel?

Username: Bad_boy_killa

Post Number: 1
I have a 5.1 speaker system (5 speakers and 1 subwoofer), in the subwooer there are 6 Audio inputs which are compatiable with regular AV cables. i used to have a DVD player which had 6 Audio outputs, so using 2 AV cables (each cable has yellow, red and white cables) i used to connect the DVD player to the subwoofer and get the 5.1 channel Audio.

Now i purchased a DVD recorder which has the following ports:

Digital Audio Out:
1. Optical
2. Coxial

AV OUT:
1. Audio R-1
2. Audio R-2
3. Audio L-1
4. Audio L-2
5. Video
6. S-Video

Component OUT
1. Pr
2. Y
3. Pb

my question is, given that there are no 6 Audio outputs unlike my old DVD player, can i connect my new DVD Recorder to my exisiting 5.1 Speaker surround system and still get the 5.1 channel audio?

note: i don't have a receiver or preamplifier and i don't intend to buy any.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 21
if your sub does not have a digital input (coaxial, obtical) than you will not get a digital sound. basically you need a reciever to get true 5.1 sound and you can get a digital reciever for less than 100 at a pawn shop or something if you didnt want to spend money. it sounds like you didnt have digital 5.1 before you had pro-logic 5.1 and there is a big difference i think you will appriciate the sound of digital

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 57
I don't know the details of his sub/speaker system, but he may have been getting 5.1 with his old DVD player if it was set up properly.

You can set up a DVD player to do the Dolby Digital processing and output the 6 discrete channels via 6 analog cables to the receiver (sub in this case). However, if his sub doesn't have a digital (coax or optical) input, then this won't be possible with the new DVD player.

--Nathan

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13278
"can i connect my new DVD Recorder to my exisiting 5.1 Speaker surround system and still get the 5.1 channel audio? "

No. You will not be getting true 5.1 surround. The subwoofer you have is designed to accept inputs from 5.1 analog that has been processed from the DVD player. It is not capable of processing the digital surround output of your DVD recorder.

Your current DVD recorder will only give you stereo output with its current analog set-up. If you don't intend to buy a receiver then you will have to do with matrixed stereo.

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 22
thats what i said

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13294
Yes you did :-)

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 23
what kind of system do you have Berny

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13309
My favorite right now is Outlaw Audio and Cremona

Bronze Member

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 24
i mean tv, reciever, dvd player or high-def dvd, what kind of speakers how many

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13336
I have Sonus Faber Cremona speakers all around driven with Outlaw Audio monoblocks mated to a 990 pre/pro. Used to have the Kenwood as a pre/pro, but moved that to another room...still one of my favorites. A hodge podge of NAD, Axioms and Athenas in other rooms.

Using Pioneer as a DVD player and Mitsubishi DLP.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us